Scubapro Air 2 vs Zeagle Octo+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firsterjr

Reaction score
If any one could give me there thoughts on this.... I am getting the Zeagle Ranger LTD and either the Zeagle Octo+ or the Scubapro Air2. I have heard bad things about both. i need your opinion on the BC and the Octo/inflat combo. Or would you choose something else? Thanks for the input.

Just a suggestion.
If you'll type the items you're interested in the Search function and press Search, you'll have reading material for days as these issues were discussed very extensively and passionatly many times before.

The Scubapro and Tusa models are really the same unit with different color buttons... and they are ok. Seem to work well, not many problems. The Zeagle... Well, I love zeagle bcs.... but their inflator octo has driven us nuts. They are always coming back with little bubbling free flow issues. We rebuild it... it's fine, then a month later, they bring it back because it's bubbling again... So sorry Scott... we try to avoid them now.

Probably one of the best ones out there is the Atomic SS1. They are a good breathing octo, and large, very easy to push inflate and deflate buttons. They come in 2 colors, yellow or red. Go with the red.

Firsterjr:
If any one could give me there thoughts on this.... I am getting the Zeagle Ranger LTD and either the Zeagle Octo+ or the Scubapro Air2. I have heard bad things about both. i need your opinion on the BC and the Octo/inflat combo. Or would you choose something else? Thanks for the input.

I have a Zeagle Ranger BC and when I bought it my LDS recommended putting the Air 2 on it instead of the Zeagle Octo. I did and I love it. Not enough experience to be an expert but that is the way I went. I was also trying to cut down on the number of hoses.

I've had the Air2 for 9 years and never had a problem with it. I just upgraded my regulator and kept my old one as an octopus.

scubatoys:
The Zeagle... Well, I love zeagle bcs.... but their inflator octo has driven us nuts. They are always coming back with little bubbling free flow issues. We rebuild it... it's fine, then a month later, they bring it back because it's bubbling again... So sorry Scott... we try to avoid them now.

No worries. The Octo+ is made by Apeks. It is the last thing we still get from them.

We have great BCs and Regs, and hopefully soon an awesome computer...alternate air source will be coming at some point, I hope.

Scott

I had the Octo plus, and I can say that the buttons are not clearly marked, and it does start to have problems (mine did in about 70 dives (saltwater). On the plus side there is another exhaust port for the air in your BC to come out off other than that mouth piece (might be good if you while in use).

I have a Ranger and love it. I also (initially) had a Beauchat combo octo/inflator. When I bought it I was told by my LDS that Beauchat made the Zeagle one?? I was probably misinformed, or maybe things have changed in the last 12 years or so...

Anyway, at the time I got mine I was told that with the Scubapro, to orally inflate, you put the reg mouthpiece in your mouth. With the Beauchat you basically blew in through the exhaust port.

The advantage of the Beauchat design was that you didn’t have to fit the mouthpiece in your mouth to orally inflate.

The advantage of the Scubapro design is that if you happened to be breathing off of it, you could orally inflate without removing the reg.

With my Beauchat if I was breathing off of it and also needed to orally inflate my BC, I would have to take the mouthpiece out of my mouth, but since that scenario is not likely, I prefered the Beauchat design.

Just some minor differences in design, that are easily handled with practice.

FWIW the only reason I don’t still have the octo/inflator is because I couldn’t get it serviced, and it was cheaper to get a ‘conventional’ octo. I may get another in the future.

I have a Octo+. I'm not to thrilled with it. It will be going away.

I have an Air2... I like it a lot. I've done maybe twenty minutes on it as my primary, having handed off my main second-stage to a buddy. Perfectly comfortable. Love reducing hoses.

Two warnings though:

1) I think the standard hose for it is a bit flimsy, and the apparatus seems to be prone to 'catching' on other gear. I recommend adding 4 thin zip ties, i.e., doubling up on zip ties.

2) The internal metal connectors do not seem to be coated against rust, so either do so yourself, or rinse your gear *very* thoroughly all the time (or both).

Also, be aware that it has a non-standard connector, so if it blows out and you are somewhere remote, you are out of luck (this just happened to me).

There is a DiveAlert for this size connector, though, which is good.

Lastly, and this is sorta subtle, but I've noticed that the increased weight on the left side (Air2 and DiveAlert), combined with the lack of the weight of a standard octupus on the right, actually tilts me a bit. I counter-balance by loading my other stuff (e.g., knife, safety sausage, etc.) on the right, but I've also been playing around with how I set my weights.

Back
Top Bottom