Scubapro Air2 Failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simonru

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am a Scubapro-holic. Love my 2 SP BCDs, my 3 SM reg sets... actually 4.
I love my 2 Scubapro Nova Scotia suits, shorties, 0.5mm and SP 3mm steamer.
I recommend Scubapro to friends and students.
But after my experience with the Air2 I may not be recommending that.

I bought it in Dahab and had it fitted to my Go Travel BCD (try it, really nice travel BCD)
20 dives in Egypt, than the about 7 dives off the Kenya coast.... nothing too taxing.

But on surfacing from a dive I tried to inflate and nothing went into my jacket.... it just came straight out of the air2.
I tried to oral inflate.... nothing was staying in.
Fortunately I was just nicely weighted and was close to the boat....

But this failed in a way that I consider quite dangerous.

Oh yes and I've just had to fork out $65 to get it serviced.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had this experience>

SR

(Oh yes, Air2 was purchased November 2013 so only 6 months old.)

But this failed in a way that I consider quite dangerous.

Oh yes and I've just had to fork out $65 to get it serviced.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had this experience>

I took my AIR2 in to the most reputable repair person in town. He told me that these AIR2s (along w. other safe seconds) are the single most repaired item he sees. So yes, these break a lot.

By the way, I now use a dedicated octo along w. my AIR2. So the AIR2 is simply an inflator for me.

And in your case, you should always be prepared for a complete wing failure anyway. This may include dropping your weights. Sounds like you didn't have to, but you should be aware of the proper procedure just in case.

Yer, pretty much aware of what I would have had to do. :) Practice it regularly with students.
This is why PADI are now putting a bit more emphasis on this skill. Actually removing AND dropping... not just simulating it!

Surely any inflator can fail in the manner, the exhaust valve getting stuck open will do it every time. For me this is a much less dangerous failure than an always inflating BC potentially resulting in a runaway ascent.
I loved my AIR2 until it failed on vacation and I had to rent a BC and regulators, one did not fit very well, and the other breathed wet, what a pain in the a**.
I would still consider switching to an equivalent as long as it used a standard inflator hose.

Interesting. I've had the same Air 2 for over a decade and only had it serviced once. Pretty much works like a charm. I like it because of the button size and placement (but have never actually used it as a second stage)

Same here. I bought the air2 as a new diver. Shop salesman (not worthy of being called an instructor) sold me on streamlining, etc. He failed to explain the limitations of air sharing and buoyancy control, I added a bungied octo to my first stage and use the air2 as an inflator. The special quickconnect is a problem when using a different reg set or using my reg set with a different bc. It is now my secondary kit since the sp parts for life bs left a bad taste in my mouth.

The special quickconnect is a problem when using a different reg set or using my reg set with a different bc.

with a less than $20 (IIRC) adapter, your reg set will work with a standard inflator. You just don't have an octo....(which wasn't a big deal "back in the day")

simonru,
It sounds as if there might have been an issue with the AIR2 when it was serviced. The units are very dependable and do streamline the diver and/or offer up another 'out of air' option and backup. If you do not get satisfaction with the service or performance of the unit, it may have to come back to SCUBAPRO for inspection and/or replacement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom