Scubapro Classic versus Level

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MHouck

New
Reaction score
Canmore, Alberta (Rocky Mountains) Canada
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking for some advise on a new BCD. I've narrowed things down to the ScubaPro Classic and the Level. I have been diving for years and long ago retired my SeaQuest Jacket BC. Over the last few years I have done resort diving and just rented. I am now getting back into the sport a bit more seriously and am getting my own gear again. I am looking for advice on the advantages/disadvantages of each. Looking more for info on the characteristics of the buoyancy and how each behaves. I've used the Classic Stab jacket in the past but see the technology has changed things a fair bit, so just curious on how it would compare to the Level BCD. Thanks - Murray

Welcome to SB. Similar story, just resumed diving after 26 years on the surface. Reactivated PADI AOW and obtained Nitrox cert.

Given your location, it seems you will be a travel diver. Me too. No more hoods, gloves or thick wetsuits.

My last BC was an Aqualung Calypso, pretty bare bones but good for travel. So I was biased to get another jacket.

After much research, I bought a SP Level and dove it in Maui off the beach. Very nice for that application (walking around wearing a tank and integrated weights). It’s a good blend of “lightweight” and “fully featured.” Get the 2022 version with trim pockets mounted high on the rear. Buoyancy is 22 to 38 pounds, depending on size. Weight is up to 6.6 pounds. Weight integration is much better than a weight belt. The Level is not as “jackety” as the Classic; it is comfortable. Many shops use the Level as their go-to for rentals, so they must be tough as well.

Now: the diving world has changed a lot. At least on SB, many experienced divers have come to prefer back-inflate BCs, or at the tech-oriented end, backplate/wing setups. The simplest BP/Ws run around $400 US, but you can spend plenty more.

For my next trip to Cozumel and for boat diving in general, I bought this:

And in case you are intrigued by the BP/W concept, here is the rabbit hole that led me to Subgravity:

Back
Top Bottom