ScubaPro Click N Mortar?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a step away from the possibly (probably?) better option of allowing lds's to sell SP on the websites with in-store pickup being the only available "shipping" option. Not sure how feasable that would be though, to limit the shipping options on certain products. I can't see how they would enforce that though. "oh look, there goes a $5 no name brand snorkel in a really big box that mysteriously contains a knighthawk as well. I wonder how that happened."

I'd probably only use the site for the sake of price comparison, then go buy whatever straight through the lds. (with shipping, exchange rates, customs/duty, etc.. sites like leisurepro won't always be cheaper for me)

Scuba manufacturers with a rather wide distribution and a big dealer base can't possibly benefit from the "shopatron" type of schemes. I presume it may be a workable solution when you dealer network is very limited.

Scuba companies simply don't seem to understand the internet buyers prefer to KNOW which dealer they are purchasing from and they want it shipped to their door....making the atomic approach less than successful. If they can't get it shipped to them, I fail to see how the scubapro approach will be any different.....actually, it will likely be less successful.

In my opinion, this is an attempt to respond to the "internet" thing, while still maintaining full capability to keep the buried head.....buried.

UNLESS....this is the beginning step toward a complete change of direction.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

UNLESS....this is the beginning step toward a complete change of direction.

That's how I read it also. I always thought that SP paid the bills by outfitting brand new students that weren't likely to know enough to ask for this or that, -been there. Thus their laser focus on dealers. After at least six or seven attempts to contact them over the years on various issues, SP has finally convinced me that I'm not worth the courtesy of a reply. I'm done trying, never even got referred to a dealer let alone a rep. OTOH, they make some good stuff and I'll buy from them when they are the best choice. Forget customer loyalty though, that ship sunk.

Looks to me like they have a bitter pill to swallow, now that a soft economy is leaving them with less students. What about all those divers that actually stick with the sport?

If they had a manufacturer forum on SB I'd give them some honest constructive advice directly. But hey, I'm just the guy with a little money to spend now and again. And besides, they could care less.

In the scuba equipment distribution system, manufacturers have a very fine line to walk when it comes to interfacing with direct consumers. Local scuba stores are completely independent business operations; the scuba manufacturers are simply suppliers. As a result, the factory can't answer many questions that might be asked if they involved issues relating to how the dealer does business. However, that shouldn't stop them from answering routine questions about products.

In most cases, manufacturers who don't have a presence in social media like scubaboard, likely make those decision not to participate based on very sound business judgment. After all, if there are certain questions you don't want to answer, or questions where the answer might harm your business interests, it is wise to not open the floor to questions.

It is my view that Oceanic does a much better job of maintaining this balance than any of the other primary major scuba manufacturers. Doug knows what he can and should say, and stays away from the rest. It helps that his company has no serious marketing skeletons in the closet. I can remember an occasion where he walked into a discussion on the Oceanic forum and then realized that he was getting into areas better left alone. He simply apologized and moved on. THIS is the way to do it.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

After at least six or seven attempts to contact them over the years on various issues, SP has finally convinced me that I'm not worth the courtesy of a reply. I'm done trying, never even got referred to a dealer let alone a rep. OTOH, they make some good stuff and I'll buy from them when they are the best choice......<snip>

If they had a manufacturer forum on SB I'd give them some honest constructive advice directly. But hey, I'm just the guy with a little money to spend now and again. And besides, they could care less.

In the scuba equipment distribution system, manufacturers have a very fine line to walk when it comes to interfacing with direct consumers.......................It is my view that Oceanic does a much better job of maintaining this balance than any of the other primary major scuba manufacturers.
Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

Yes, a very good example that it can be done -and done well.

I'm talking about the common courtesy of telling me where I can get an answer or satisfaction. Even 'Go away, we don't talk to end users.' would be refreshingly direct. I'm tired of being ignored after spending major bucks. Funny, I seem to be able to access other manufacturers easily, OMS for one, DiveRite for two, VR Technology for three, .........

This is a step away from the possibly (probably?) better option of allowing lds's to sell SP on the websites with in-store pickup being the only available "shipping" option. Not sure how feasable that would be though, to limit the shipping options on certain products. I can't see how they would enforce that though. "oh look, there goes a $5 no name brand snorkel in a really big box that mysteriously contains a knighthawk as well. I wonder how that happened."

I doubt you'll see that happening more than you will now....

I'd probably only use the site for the sake of price comparison, then go buy whatever straight through the lds. (with shipping, exchange rates, customs/duty, etc.. sites like leisurepro won't always be cheaper for me)

I think that some folks will use it for SP price comparison. but the SP prices will be "full list price" (MSRP) and chances are if they went into a dive shop they could at least get a little haggle on price or a package deal perhaps.

so in the end, it's likely that if the consumer uses this site he'll pay ala-carte full list price. (so the consumer really doesn't 'win' here on price.... just my opinion)

I just got an interesting email from a friend about a new ScubaPro program that has just been announced. Appears that ScubaPro is "sneaking up" on the concept of internet sales....at least internet ordering. They seem to be going with a new Shopatron alternative.

I don't think it's going to mean much to their big dealers, although the little dealers should see some business from it just because it's additional marketing with their name on it.

Terry

I think that some folks will use it for SP price comparison. but the SP prices will be "full list price" (MSRP) and chances are if they went into a dive shop they could at least get a little haggle on price or a package deal perhaps.

I didn't intend for that to sound like I thought prices would be lower; if SP sets up a site to sell SP stuff, I wouldn't expect it to be a cent less than MSRP. If I'm going to buy at a shop, using MSRP for price comparison vs prices on their website for similar products gives more of an apples to apples comparison, whereas LP prices don't. (as a probably unnecessary example, I read somewhere that the Ladyhawk has an MSRP of something like $600, a shop would probably have it somewhere in the 500s, while LP currently has it for $399.95) When I'm ready for an exact price and some haggleing, I'll go bug somebody at the shop, but until then, I'm window shopping.

LP tends to inflate the "list" price on many SP items to make the "our" price and "sale" price look better. The "our" price is often even slightly above the full MSRP so it is sometimes hard to compare Lp prices with real world authorized dealer prices.

If there is an upside to the shopatron system it may be to improve public awareness of actual list prices for SP items. SP has historically been some what bad about publishing them on line and has been inconsistent (some times for good reason) in putting MRSP prices in the SP catalogs over the years.

Other than that, I just don't see much advantage to it. If I shop online, I want the little brown truck or the mailman to deliver it to my door a few days later.

If I have to go to the shop for pickup anyway, I'll just go to the shop, buy it and take it home - and probably save 10%, get to see it, feel it and play with it prior to buying it and get some solid advice in the process - all of which may alter the buying decision I may have made on-line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom