ScubaPro = FreeFlow????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TRUETEXAN

Contributor
Reaction score
My dive buddy uses a MK20 with a G200B second stage and is getting really aggravated with it free-flowing almost all the time. We have taken it to three different dive shops and they have all looked at or worked on it and two of them say that it is just a ScubaPro thing, and the other one says that it is because he probably doesn't keep his reg clean enough, and although the water we dive in mostly has a high mineral content, we both rinse our equipment after every dive and take very good care of it. I am wondering if it is just a design flaw on the second stage, we have only seen one other G200B so I guess it is not a popular reg. My buddy went ahead and bought a new Zeagle Flathead VI after using mine and swears he won't touch another Scubaro, I got him a really good deal on his new reg and he gave me the ScubaPro set up and I would like to use it down the road as a deco reg or pony bottle reg if someone out there can give me some advice on what I should do to remedy this problem. I have heard a lot of people say that they realy like the MK20 first stage, so should I just replace the G200B or is this truely a lost cause.
Thanks for the help.

Hmmm....where's that Matt guy???

Just curious:

How cold is the water? I can't imagine it getting too cold in Texas.

Does the free flow start as a trickle and get worse, or does it happen suddenly?

What's the intermediate pressure set at?

There's only so many things that can cause a reg to free flow, so it's a matter of narrowing it down.

:)

Mike

It usually starts when he opens the tank valve, but sometimes it dosn't start until about 2-5 minutes into the dive. On a brighter note, I failed to mention in my previous post that because of this problem my dive buddy has become an expert at handling this kind of thing underwater.....HaHa:)

Have you guys tried putting another second stage on the first and vice versa to narrow down which stage is at fault?

Mike

PS. With the sealed Zeagle, you won't have to worry about the first stage too much.

We have tried putting a different second stage on it and it worked fine, that is how we came to the conclusion that it was the G200B second stage. Has anyoneeer heard of the G200B??

I've heard of it. In fact, the LDS here uses them for his rentals. I don't care for them much, but I'm spoiled with my Apeks :wink:.

So, between three dive shops, they couldn't fix the second stage, eh? There's only so many things inside a second stage as simple as that one that can go wrong. Here's what I would do:

Call Scuba Pro and give them heck about the techs in your area. Tell them you won't buy another SP reg unless they (Scuba Pro) remedy the problem. Maybe if you portray (ie. pretend :)) a clear sense of anger, they will send you another second stage for free. Stranger things have happened!

Take care.

Mike

The G200B was the poor man's version of the G250. The G200B is no longer made. I have worked on some and they can be difficult. I believe the G200B can be upgraded to a G250. The G250 can be upgraded to the current version of the G250HP. So...maybe the G200B can be upgraded to the G250HP and you will have a high performance winner! Not bad for a free reg. The G250HP's performance is what most scuba equipment manufacturers are trying to duplicate. :boom:

You are correct luvdiving!!

It can be upgraded!!

G250's are hard to beat especially for high performance and best of all we use the under the ICE here in canada..:D

Hey Lost Yooper thinking about putting an APEX on my back up post !!!:D :D :D

Just ribbing ya!!

NINJA:ninja:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom