Scubapro G250 HP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShipWreck Mike

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
SoCal, somewhere on the bottom of the ocean
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Dose anyone have a Scubapro G250 HP & MK25 and if so do you like it? I dive with a G250 & MK10 which I bought in 1989 and have had it serviced only twice and it works like the day I bought it., thanks:D

I loved my g250 until I took it in to get serviced - now it sucks bad. I'm going to a different shop to see if I can get it serviced properly.

It used to be setup so well that it would force the air into you there was literally next to no effort to inhale. Now it feels like I'm sucking through a straw.

THe G250 breathes better than the G250HP, so you'd actually be moving backwards if you go with a G250HP. The "new" G250V is a remake of the original G250 and is again a superb reg.

The Mk 25 has more flow than the Mk 10, but then again the Mk 10 has more than enough flow, so you again would not be gaining anything.

-----

The adjustment specs for SP regs have over the years gone downhill. For example when the G250 was first intorduced, techs would most likely tune it for minimum inhalation effort - just short of free flow with the adjustmewnt knob screwed all the way out which gave an inhalation effort around 1.0" of water. Now, many techs tend to tune it for an inhalation effort around 1.2 to 1.4 inches of water.

I loved my g250 until I took it in to get serviced - now it sucks bad. I'm going to a different shop to see if I can get it serviced properly.

It used to be setup so well that it would force the air into you there was literally next to no effort to inhale. Now it feels like I'm sucking through a straw.

Assuming that there are no issues with bad parts, the hard breathing of this reg is easily remedied. Just keep in mind that tuning a second stage is always a juggling act between breathing easily and still sealing up so that the reg doesn't free-flow slightly. Your reg tech may have set it up a little tight now so that once the poppet seat takes its permanant set the second stage won't free-flow.

Bottom line: be careful that you don't set it so free it leaks on you.

Thanks, the guy at the LDS said it breathe about the same. I have been lucky when I serviced my regs each time they were spot on.

Assuming that there are no issues with bad parts, the hard breathing of this reg is easily remedied. Just keep in mind that tuning a second stage is always a juggling act between breathing easily and still sealing up so that the reg doesn't free-flow slightly. Your reg tech may have set it up a little tight now so that once the poppet seat takes its permanant set the second stage won't free-flow.

Bottom line: be careful that you don't set it so free it leaks on you.

Thanks - now that I remember it did have a slight leak once in a while when dialed all the way out but I could always dial it in a bit to fix that - well worth it for the better performance

Thanks - now that I remember it did have a slight leak once in a while when dialed all the way out but I could always dial it in a bit to fix that - well worth it for the better performance
Thats how I like to set my regs up. A slight free flow is fine as long as you can adjust it out with the user adjuster.

I have two G250HP's with a Mk25 and Mk20 as my tropical tech piston regs --both easy breathers at depth (45m/150' and greater), especially since I've been diving deep air lately:no: . . .

My service tech prefers the new G250V and the old G250's; less o-rings and easier/quicker to overhaul than the G250HP. . .

The adjustment knob and balance chamber in the G250 and G250V are much simpler but just as effective and avoid 3 extra o-rings and 3 additional parts. The G250HP design originally allowed for a feature where all pressure was removed form the seat when there was no air pressure - but that added even more complexity, made adjustment much more difficult and reduced reliability so it did not last long.

The G250V accomplishes the same thing with a much simpler approach where the purge button can be rotated and locked in the a slightly "in" position.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom