Scubapro G250: strange free flow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aye Aye Master, I'm currently in an OOA situation, but got a promise from the LDS to give me a refill. Will try these next weekend.

I've got my non-hydro tank filled, back in business,

While I was messing with the G250, I accidentally poked a hole in the diaphragm: more work finding a spare. Here's what I did:
  • Brasso'ed the inside of the barrel
  • Replaced the diaphragm with a used but good blue one, possibly of 90's vintage.
  • Swapped the s-wing poppet back in.
  • Swapped a stepped feet lever in, the center one in couv's pic
  • Tuned the orifice another extra hour.
I did this last step because I remember Oxyhacker once saith:

"So when you try to reduce cracking pressure too far using the orifice on a 109 or G250 you are actually just putting the lever hard up against the diaphragm, so the diaphragm is contibuting a little pressure of its own, which works to a degree, but, since the dynamics of the diaphragm are a lot more complex than those of a spring, at the cost of adding a certain amount of unpredictability to the reg's behavior. Then when you try desensitize the stage by turning the ext adj knob out you are not actually addressing the problem, but rather trying to compensate for the fouled lever by increasing cracking pressure! The result can be an unstable or hard breathing reg."

The result? All is quiet, no free flow, and the cracking pressure is a hair below 1", as usual. I'll leave it alone for the seat to set in and report back if there's any change.

Hi forum in general;

What information is available regarding maintenance of a 250v mk17 combo and what parts are available from who easily in Australia

Regards

BCRUFUS

You can find nearly every information you need to know on line, but it's very fragmented. Maybe I'll do a little consolidation/compilation some day, depending on the snow conditions around here. :D

Parts are a different story, but I heard Australia has conquered its second independance recently. You should try walking in a dive store and matter-of-factly hand out a list of parts. Maybe it works. If it doesn't, show the guy (gal) a copy of the document.

Edit
The doc is about price fixing, but with a bit of imagination, you can surely widen the scope. :D

Last edited:
A week later, the reg is rock steady and does what it's supposed to.

I'm not 100% positive, but I have a feeling it's the lever (couv's left, latest style). I swapped it in my main reg and it starts acting a bit funny, requiring a tiny bit more tightening of the orifice.

A week later, the reg is rock steady and does what it's supposed to.

I'm not 100% positive, but I have a feeling it's the lever (couv's left, latest style). I swapped it in my main reg and it starts acting a bit funny, requiring a tiny bit more tightening of the orifice.

Thanks for going to the trouble of posting all of this (the progression from problem ---> solution), brother Zung.

I'm still "wrestling" with whether to "tweak" the lever height on my two -109s by carefully bending them... it still seems that my levers (far right style) are just a bit high, and are "fouled" by the diaphragm when I put the covers on, thus requiring turning the orifice in a bit.... resulting is slightly higher cracking pressure.... about 1.3", which while perfectly acceptable is still not quite as "hot" as I think I might be able to tune them.... :wink:

It brings me back to this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/repairing-your-own-gear/336647-r109-lever-height.html

If I get bored while waiting for the Mk-5 turrent bolts I might swallow my fear and do some careful "lever bending" :D

Best wishes.

....If I get bored while waiting for the Mk-5 turrent bolts I might swallow my fear and do some careful "lever bending" :D Best wishes.

LTSD = Uri Geller in disguise

Brother Zung set the bar pretty high with his recent start-to-finish projects detailed with pictures and post. I'm not saying the pressure is on you to start a new DIY "Lever Bending Made Easy" thread. But......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom