Scubapro help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have access to a micrometer? If you could measure the height and diameter of that seat, that would be great. I have a MK15 spring I'll trade you for a few of those seats if they are the right size. I'll throw in a handful of bushings as well.

The D400 is a great 2nd stage, maybe one of the best ever. You happened to pick two of the most difficult 1st-2nd stages to DIY in the SP line-up, BTW. When it's in the up (predive) position, the dive/predive switch activates a spring which rests against the lever. This keeps the reg from free-flowing. When its in the down (dive) position, it moves the spring away from the lever and has no affect on the operation of the reg. It should have zero affect on the purge in either position. BEFORE YOU TAKE ANYTHING APART, take lots of photos of the lever and spring orientation. Just pull the rubber cover off, unscrew the ring, and gently take the diaphragm out and off the lever. Getting that spring off the cross-barrel and getting the lever oriented correctly is not something you're likely to remember, at least if you're anything like me. Since you have a few D400s (right?) you can photograph each of them to make sure they're all the same. The schematic does NOT clearly show the orientation of these parts IMO.

Get the Harlow book. There's another one too, called regulator savvy, by Peter Wolfinger. That book is not so much a manual for DIY, but it does have extensive and detailed explanations about how various regulators work. Included is a whole chapter on the D series, so consider that one as well, if you will be working on these regs. While the basic principles between the D series co-axial valve and standard barrel poppet 2nds are the same, the application of those principles is quite a bit different, and the D series is engineered to solve some basic problems in a very elegant and sophisticated way.

None of us would be recommending these books if we didn't think they were worth it. What do you think, we get paid for doing this?

I had it finished before i even posted last night. I found a service manual, as well as the schematic. I had two problems with the D400, getting the rubber cover off and i accidently put the adjustable lever on the top notch when it need to be on the bottom. After that I sealed it all up and took a few breaths. I am taking them to the dive shop today to fine tune anything I missed. I will ask as well if he can measure because i dont have a micrometer yet. What calibration tools do you think would be best to have for these jobs? I know i will need to get the pressure gauge for the 2nd staged so i can fine tune myself, but should I just focus on the tools listed on the service manuals, or is there something different that works the same?

So harlow and wolfinger, i will pick them up today.

Halocline, dont worry about the spring i will just pick one up i will talk to him about seats as well. What is the difference between no shims in the mk15 and say two or three? Is it based on how the cylender was machined?

So now that I have the gear serviced, what is the best to use, from what i have seen everyone likes the d400. but my options are d400, g250v, and s550. i think i have an r190 as well it was my octo that came with the s550 and mk2. Any thoughts?

If you don't have a tank and an IP gauge, you won't get very far. You must have a nice dive shop for them to sell you parts and help you work on your own regs.

The shims are there to adjust IP. Just ask the dive shop for the SP part number for the seats; if it's 10-600-123, or a part number that has replaced that number, I'd love to buy a few.

The most valuable 2nd stage of the three you mentioned is the G250V. But you probably have the original version of the G250. Those and the D400 are both top notch, excellent regulators. The G250 is much easier to find parts for and to service. The S550 would be a good one to sell IMO; it's newer and offers no benefit over the earlier 2nds. Thats just my opinion. The R190 is a downstream, unbalanced 2nd that is perfectly fine as an octo, but not in the same league as the other regs.

To me the Harlow book is more informative for the DIY'er, than the Wolfinger book. It seems you have the largest problem solved for the DIY'er, finding a reliable and reasonably-priced source of parts. There is a Apeks flash presentation that you should download because it also covers tuning the regs. I would recommend standardizing your regulators as much as possible. So for first stages I would keep the MK-15's and sell the MK-2. For the second stages, I would keep the G250's (you have 3 I think) and sell off the others while trying to find another G-250.

Back
Top Bottom