Scubapro Hydros as Travel BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guitarcrazy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are going to be doing a liveaboard next year and are looking to streamline our kit for the trip. My wife has a Cressi Travelight which she likes but it is slightly too big. We are wondering if the Hydros Pro would be a good choice for a compact setup. The Air2 would also allow us to lighten up our reg sets with the removal of the octo. Anyone have experience with Cressi Travelight and Hydros Pro? Tia.

I have the Hydros Pro, in addition to several other brands/models, and I love the Hydros Pro the most, local or travel. It isn't the "lightest" BC nor the heaviest but it is on the "Light" side and no issues traveling with it. In fact, it packs very compactly. You can fit all of your warm water equipment in the bag that comes with it not just the bc.

I find the Hydros Pro as flexible and customizable as can be for the recreational diver at all levels (single tank diving). It has a lot of the customization accessories included or available to buy. It even comes with two harnesses, travel and weight integrated harnesses. Can be packed very compactly and is very light. I managed to put the Hyros Pro, regulator set, mask/fins, light wetsuit, boots and gloves into the backpac it comes with the Hydros Pro with the fins attached to the backpac on the outside. The net weight I use with steel BP/W bc is the same with the Hydros, the same also with the AL BP/W kit, no disadvantage to the Hyros pro in terms of buoyancy. The Hydros comes with rear trim weight pockets but a BP/W don't and you have to pay for that with the BP/W.

I have a Hydros Pro and really like it. I use it for local diving these days and use a different BCD for travel. The Hydros is on the heavier side, but it does roll up fairly compactly. For a do-everything BCD it is a good choice. But if you are only going to be using it for warm-water dive travel trips, there are better (and cheaper) options out there.

I have a Hydros Pro and really like it.
Use it like this as a travel BC.
Ditch the weight pockets and use the trim pockets and a light weight belt.
My go to BC for single cylinder dives and travel, love it.
sp_hydrospro_harness.jpg

Attachments

• sp_hydrospro_harness.jpg
    sp_hydrospro_harness.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 15
BoltSnap
You can fit all of your warm water equipment in the bag that comes with it not just the bc.

Traveling with the HYDROS PRO is remarkably easy. An amazing feature to the HYDROS PRO is the included backpack dive bag which allows for a full set of dive gear to fit in an airplanes overhead storage compartment.

Use it like this as a travel BC.
Ditch the weight pockets and use the trim pockets and a light weight belt.
My go to BC for single cylinder dives and travel, love it.
View attachment 838843
We both use a 3 mil and dive warmer water only. I am a little surprised the weight is listed as between 9 and 11 pounds for the Hydros. That seems heavy for a travel bcd. I believe my current Tusa XPert is lighter than that.

How much weight can you fit in the trim pockets? If you take off the weight pockets and have to use a weight belt it seems like a bit of a headache. We both normally use 8 to 9 pounds of lead, but some have said they need less weight with the Hydros? Thanks.

We both use a 3 mil and dive warmer water only. I am a little surprised the weight is listed as between 9 and 11 pounds for the Hydros. That seems heavy for a travel bcd. I believe my current Tusa XPert is lighter than that.

How much weight can you fit in the trim pockets? If you take off the weight pockets and have to use a weight belt it seems like a bit of a headache. We both normally use 8 to 9 pounds of lead, but some have said they need less weight with the Hydros? Thanks.
I think the Hydros is rated for 5 lbs. per trim pocket. So technically that would cover your weight needs. However, putting all of that weight in trim will likely make you feel pretty rolly, even if your trim is still okay. The Hydros Pro trim pockets are on the back of the wing. My Aqualung Rogue, for example, has the optional trim pockets attach directly to the backplate (more of a back sheet). I find it a lot less floppy feeling when only using trim weights.

The benefit of having both the integrated weight pockets and the travel-tech belt with the Hydros is that it gives you a lot of flexibility for using the BCD in a variety of conditions. But, as I wrote earlier, if you are looking strictly for a BCD for warm water travel diving, then I think there are better choices out there. It's nearly $1,200. You can get a nice, lighter BCD for a lot less than that. If you really like it and have your heart set on it, it is definitely a great BCD, and I love mine for the local cold-water diving I do. But for travel I decided to go with the AL Rogue (and an Airsource).

I love my Hydros for travel. If you use compression straps you can get it squished down to roughly 22" long with a 6" diameter. This, of course, is using the travel harness without the integrated weights.

I wouldn't remove the weight belt/pockets for travel until you after you have tried it and decided which way to go. I have kept my weight belt/pockets even when traveling and love it. Go one step at the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom