ScubaPro Hydros Weight Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jafo19D

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My SP Hydros will be arriving any day now and I can't wait.

I have two questions regarding weight...

1) For those of you who got the BC, how much weight were you able to shed since it's neutrally buoyant? In an old post I saw someone say 2 lbs. Anyone else? I've only used rental jackets before.

2) How much weight do you put in the trim pockets compared to the main weight pouches or belt?

And yeah I know it's expensive and yes I know I could have bought 2 BPWs and fed a kid in Africa with what I spent on this but it's what I wanted.

I shed a pound, maybe 2. I don't need any weight in the trim pockets. If you feel that the bc is pushing you face down toward the water. Add some weight to the trim pockets. Remember never have more than 50% of the total weight in the trim pockets.

You'll love your new bc. I've had mine for about 2 years now.

Can't answer #1 (First BC I've owned, and don't remember rental jacket BCDs)

As for #2, I use a two pounder in each trim pocket with 6, 8, or 10 pounds split in the weight pockets depending on tanks and/or wetsuit

I think I got rid of 2lb when I switched from a very buoyant and bulky jacket-style. I don't put any in the trim pockets either but don't have the issue with surface faceplanting. I definitely do lean back more at the surface with this one but it's comfortable.

I adore it too, but missed my pockets at the beginning - I have the ones that attach but they just aren't the same. I've gotten used to it though (I think I've had it for two years now.)
There are a lot of places to attach bungees etc. - and after some practice I managed to streamline my gear better (first few dives I felt like a Christmas Tree.)

Drying time and fold-up-ability is wonderful!

I was about to say 6lb drop, but then I realised that I changed to a steel tank at the same time... So 2lb would be a good indication I think.
The Hydros is a great rec BC, I enjoyed my time diving in mine. Only reason I changed over to a BP/W was for a more modular equipment system that could be customised to my exact requirements for the type of diving I do now.
:cheers:

Congrats. Great BC.

Congrats. Great BC.
Thanks. I’m going diving with it in a couple of weeks, I’m taking the integrated weights though instead of the travel strap. Will Ake it easier to add/take off weights while figuring out my weight.

I've had one for over 3 years and like it a lot as its flexible for what I do.

However the biggest downsides are:
1) Forgetting to remove weights from pockets when taking off will cause serious damage to the weight pocket arrangements (I've done this when in a rush when dealing with customers/students). New weight pockets now.

2) Not picking it up by the handle as shoulder straps are not designed to pick up the the bcd. You need to always use the handle, and if other people pick it up your need to make sure they do by the handle (eg if going boat diving and crew put your kit on boat/or take off boat).

3) Shoulder D rings very small but useable. I take a 7L Al redundant air tank on single tank dives to 30 metres with customers and this clips to the left shoulder D ring and waist strap ring ok. Rest of kit I need is always in my tek shorts pockets. (camera/ torch/ reel/ dsmb/ training slates).

I've recently removed the weight pockets and just use travel straps with a crotch strap and weight belt, so effectively it is more like diving with a wing (which I use for doubles).

I also wasted money on the ninja pocket and then a thigh pocket. Better to get tek shorts for storing stuff in and keep the bcd clean so to speak.

I sometimes use 2kg in trim pockets but they can take 4 if I remember correctly.

There are loads of tips for the Hydros on this and other forums as well.

Good luck and I am sure you will love it.

Happy Diving

I've had one for over 3 years and like it a lot as its flexible for what I do.

However the biggest downsides are:
1) Forgetting to remove weights from pockets when taking off will cause serious damage to the weight pocket arrangements (I've done this when in a rush when dealing with customers/students). New weight pockets now.

2) Not picking it up by the handle as shoulder straps are not designed to pick up the the bcd. You need to always use the handle, and if other people pick it up your need to make sure they do by the handle (eg if going boat diving and crew put your kit on boat/or take off boat).

3) Shoulder D rings very small but useable. I take a 7L Al redundant air tank on single tank dives to 30 metres with customers and this clips to the left shoulder D ring and waist strap ring ok. Rest of kit I need is always in my tek shorts pockets. (camera/ torch/ reel/ dsmb/ training slates).

I've recently removed the weight pockets and just use travel straps with a crotch strap and weight belt, so effectively it is more like diving with a wing (which I use for doubles).

I also wasted money on the ninja pocket and then a thigh pocket. Better to get tek shorts for storing stuff in and keep the bcd clean so to speak.

I sometimes use 2kg in trim pockets but they can take 4 if I remember correctly.

There are loads of tips for the Hydros on this and other forums as well.

Good luck and I am sure you will love it.

Happy Diving

Yeah I may move to the travel straps once I figure out the correct weight. I dive with just shorts so I recently bought some SP shorts with pockets. Will probably put my Dsmb and light in the pockets. And whenever I decide to buy an actual wetsuit I will look into the Deep6 which has pockets.

I already knew about the carrying handle but can you explain the part about the weight pockets ?

I use 2+2+2+2(lbs) or 1+1+1+1(kg) for no wetsuit AL80. Adjusting tank up or down seems to work to finesse this further which is quite flexible with the single band. I definitely found the trim pockets valuable when initially dialing this in.

After about 4 trips I also removed the ditchable weight pockets and now use the travel strap with a couple of added velcro pockets.

There is no naturally good place for a reef hook. I've added a carribiner to the end of each waist strap (where the webbing is stitched over on itself) - clip them together and you have a good low centre point and when not in use they are good for clipping off 'whatever' (dome port cover usually).

I've also added a lot of other carribiners in convenient places. It's pretty good by default but you can really dial it in to your own needs if you are so inclined.

The ScubaPro clip on pockets are complete crap. There are some wear points that do not last long. Very poorly thought out design - you can just look at them and see where they are going to fail. I know of a local guy that specializes in stitching repairs for outdoor gear that I'm going to let take a stab at them to make them 'proper'. A tiny bit more strategically placed webbing and a metal (rather than plastic) clip and they could be quite good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom