ScubaPro Meridian Battery Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shedd MMD

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know this subject has been approached a time or two before but I have a couple of questions about my Meridian's Battery.
1. How long is the battery supposed to last? The manual says 2 years (insert chuckle here). I purchased mine in March of this year with a full (showed the 5 0's) and with only 6 dives, no back light or alarms turned on I am down to 3 0's in only 4 short months. This just doesn't seem right. I would have never purchased a dive computer/watch if I had known I would be replacing batteries 3-4 times a year.
2. It says in the manual to replace the O-Ring every time you replace the battery. Where do you find this O-Ring. My LDS doesn't know where to get it and I can't find it anywhere on the internet. Everyone else has "Battery Replacement Kits" with O-rings and some even come with grease. Batteries are easy to come by, but for the life of me I can't find the O-Ring and if I will be replacing batteries every 3 months I would like to by a lifetime supply.

Any help, feedback or advice would definitely be welcomed at this point.

Frank

Please return your Meridian through an authorized dealer for warranty service. We will determine if the battery is at issue or the computer module.

Please return your Meridian through an authorized dealer for warranty service. We will determine if the battery is at issue or the computer module.

I have the same issue bought mine in march now battery light is on. I brought it to the shop to ask if it could be replaced in store unfortunately not the case. In order not to void the warranty it has to be sent to scuba pro. I was not thrilled about the response from scuba pro they said it will cost me 80 dollars to send it in and it will take anywhere from 2 to 8 weeks to get it back. I find that to be ridiculas I cannot wait that long for something so simple to fix and inexpensive. I have had nothing but issues with scuba pro gear and customer service. I will not purchase anything from them in the future. 2-8 weeks what a joke.

Yeah, I'm waiting to hear back from my "Authorized Dealer" on when I can send it back. Ricky, 2-8 weeks and $80???? Unbelievable! I thought they had a Free Battery Replacement Program. I have never had issues with them in the past like this. Most of my gear is ScubaPro/Uwatec. That is the reason I bought the Meridian. Now, with the run around I am getting from their customer service dept(not a single reply to email or phone) and the reliability I am experiencing with this Computer/Watch I will be reconsidering which brand I will actually stay loyal to.
Good luck with yours, keep me posted.

Update-Finally sent my unit back, thru my "Authorized Dealer" and it is now in the hands of the technicians at SP. Turns out I need to have the entire unit replaced and now they are just waiting for new units to come in. Unfortunately, I don't have a computer to dive with, which is a bit un-nerving. I will say that once it was in the hands of the Tech at SP, I was kept up to speed on what was happening and what was going to happen. My authorized dealer was completely useless and had no idea of what was going on. I hope all of these issues were just problems related to a new product and hopefully the problems will get ironed out. Meantime still waiting for my new computer to be returned.

I bought my Meridian in May '13 and had to replace battery after only 29 dives. 5 days after replacing it, it's empty again. Such a serious failure makes it useless for diving, because i'm afraid the battery will die during the dive.

Maybe it's time for an official manufacturer's recall?

Scubapro is not just replacing the battery, my understanding is that they are checking the module itself to see if it's draw is out of spec and if it is replacing the module. I would imagine that would involve a little more time than simple battery replacement.

Update,
After returning the unit back to Scuba Pro through the authorized dealer (a 4 week debacle itself), a contact a Scuba Pro said that the entire unit needed to be replaced as "mictrik" said. I received the "Brand New from the factory" unit finally after over a month and a half of waiting and, bingo, you got it, that one was defective as well. It only showed a battery life of 4 "0's". (you guys know what that means), so I have sent that unit back now as well through the "authorized" dealer and we will see what comes back. I am seriously thinking of moving all of my computer needs to Suunto if this one doesn't work out.
You would think that a company the size of SP/Uwatec would stand by their products and show their customers a little professionalism and take care of the problem. Having to go through your Authorized dealer is a waste of our time. SP just fix the problems directly with the customers so we don't have to be out of a computer for 2 months......

Soooooooo Frustrated!

I too have a similar issue however my authorized dealer (Beaver Divers) has not returned my enquiry for processing my Meridian for return and evaluation.

AA3JY,
If I read your reply correctly, tell your LDS that ScubaPro has been experiencing these problems and to send your unit back in. Print out this forum if necessary. I got my tracking number Friday, and should be receiving my unit back tomorrow. To say I am nervous is an understatement. I really hope this one works as it is supposed to. I can't even fathom having to send another one back. After all the years of using SP equipment and standing by them, I cant imagine having to go to a different company because of this.

ps. as of tomorrow when I am supposed to receive the "new" unit. This will have been a 10+ week ordeal. Totally unacceptable in terms of customer service. Very disappointed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom