Scubapro MK25/G260 - Still Viable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

98TJ10

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have the opportunity to pick-up a MK25/G260 combo for $530 (new). I currently have sealed diaphragm regulators. Will I be upset with this purchase? What does maintenance/long term durability look like. I dive water down to 50 degrees, not worried about freezing. Thank you in advance.

I switched the other way because I do a ton of shore diving and my piston was getting scored by the sand. If you're boat diving or not in the muck or sand, 25s are pretty good!

That's some sand, I found some rocks and dive there instead!

Hmm, the G260, the G250 succesor with Micro-adjust? The most storied and copied second stage regulator ever made? Still among the most durable, reliable and highest perfroming second stages? That one? And the Mark 25 Evo to which no other first stage can equal it's open flow rate though somewhat irrelevant due to the flow restriction being the tank valve and the second stage, that G260 which can flow a xxxxx load of air? And the Mark 25 Evo with even more cold water enhancements? That one? Not viable any more!

I have owned and still own numerous piston first stages and despite beach diving the Gulf coast and the ubiquitous quartz sand beaches and rocky areas I have never seen any scouring or damage to a piston first stage, not a Mark 5, Mark 10 or Mark 20. If you really love cold water and enjoy dives in turbid environments, get a Mark 19 then instead and be happy. That is with the G260s as second stages.

I use the MK25/G260 for my sidemount rig and I love it. The 1st stage is built like a tank, it's easy to get spares and service. I would not worry about sand or mug, it's super reliable if you take care of it. The G260 is one of the best 2nd stages I ever used. I compared it directly to S600, it breaths so much nicer in any position. The diaphragm is larger which make it more sensitive and reduce breathing efforts.

Geez, I dive open piston regs all the time in water from the high 40’s on up. I shore dive in turbid water and sometimes it’s sand filled.
For some reason I’ve never had an issue? Maybe I’m doing something wrong by not dying from using piston regs where they’re not supposed to be used?
God, now I feel left out.

Back
Top Bottom