Scubapro Plastic Air barrel Cracking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaPro will replace the barrels. In warrant or not. All you have to do is take it to a SP store and they should get you a new one. BUT not all SP store have a barrel in stock.

I just retrofitted most (all 4 of my technical regulators) of my S600's with the metal barrells. Never had any problems with the plastic barrells cracking. Did the retrofit mostly to aid in the prevention of a freeze- up of the second stage during cold water diving.

Thanks Zung. I'll check with my local LDS. With plastic air barrels cracking, I would think a recall would be in order.

Perhaps the safety risk is just not there or Scubapro is heading off the bad publicity of a CPSC mandated recall by taking care of any problems before it is recognized as a public safety risk.

ScubaPro will replace the barrels. In warrant or not. All you have to do is take it to a SP store and they should get you a new one. BUT not all SP store have a barrel in stock.

Just don't be surprised if your LDS says no or that they will only provide the free replacement in conjunction with a service of that regulator. They are independent retailers and do not have to provide that service. After all, Scubapro may provide the LDS the part for free but they do not provide any compensation for the required labor.

Just saw this thread. One of my S600 air barrel's cracked too. Replaced by SP for free.

Are you guys sure that ScubaPro is replacing the barrels with metal ones? I stopped by my friendly local SP dealer, who swapped the part out for me with the "new" version which "doesn't crack". Unfortunately, this new version is plastic just like the old one. The only two differences that I was able to see are a groove in the middle of the metal threads and a plastic stopper. Seems like a waste of gas and time to swap a plastic barrel with another plastic one... :(

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 201
Yup, that would be correct about the warranty replacement. It is a plastic for plastic replacement. SP has made improvements in the plastic version of the air barrel which is the reason for the plastic/plastic swap. If you have found a dealer that swaps plastic for metal then that is one generous dealer!!

Tammy,
If I may ask, were these dome as warranty replacements or did you pay for the replacement parts?

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom