Scubapro R380 vs R390

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubapro uses the same repair guide for both and they use the same basic downstream poppet design.

I have not worked on an R390 yet and have not cross checked the schematics of the R380 and R390 to see what is different parts wise, but its a safe bet the changes in the R390 are evolutionary improvements and most likely relatively minor. I would also bet any change in the R390 can also be retrofitted to the R380 when it is serviced.

Scubapro did the same thing with the D300, D350 and D400, although some of the internal changes were fairly significant.
Renaming the second stage makes it a little easier to track what's what. In contrast, their Balanced Adjustable has been through 4 major configurations (not counting the original major design improvement from the Adjustable second stage) during or after its production life ended and the latest poppet upgrade is substantially different and substantially better in terms of perfromance than the orginal poppet design, but you never know what you have until you take one apart.

My LDS say the R390 is not significantly different from the R380, maybe a better labelled dive/pre-dive switch but otherwise the same weight, casing, and performance. I've been looking into the R380 as a bailout bottle regulator of late, and noticed that the Scubapro website has just been updated in the last week or so, with new info on the R390.

I just ordered 4 mark 16's with 380's. The order has just arrived with 390's. All here is right when they say the 390 is the lastest version of the 380's.

I glad I got the new version and not the last of the old.

SterlingDiver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom