Scubapro S-Tek Line Impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The trim weight pouches are just like every other trim pouch of that design, same same.
Did you try them yourself? These SP pockets attach directly to the plate not the tank band.

Did you try them yourself? These SP pockets attach directly to the plate not the tank band.
Those attach to a length of webbing and the pouches are pretty standard but small(ish) and @$75 they are pricy, still nice that they thought of it and offer a solution for these youngsters who don’t want to fashion their own stuff. The wings aren’t an issue as they are standard spacing so one can use any standard wing they like.

They are just pockets that attach to 2” webbing and SP includes a length of 1” webbing that attaches to the plate to hold them. I get that they were trying to cover all possible angles but you can buy similar pockets at Piranha for 6 bucks.

I am jaded though, to me there has never been anything close to the Zeagle pockets for us that need 10 pounds with aluminum tanks. They bolt to the wing, are out of the way, brilliant.
BAEE91C3-46E0-4B6B-B82C-D5D394EADD5A.png

Regarding the Pro harness, what you describe is actually a plus to me. I like the idea of a "BC like" harness and don't apologize for it, but I suspect many folks, like yourself, would prefer something much more Hogarthian and simple (as Scubapro probably realized, since they are also offering the "Pure" harness as an option).

I actually loved the idea of adjustable straps and I do like the comfort of softer webbing like this harness has. I have tried deluxe harnesses, but like the SP pro they are all a little over engineered and are kind of clunky. The issue can easily be solved I realized with the simple addition of ladder locks and I am putting something together to try. The two buckle system SP used is not very comfortable above water, not sure how it would be in actual use.

If you want that snug feeling I think Pirahna has a cumberbund that bolts to the wing and the waist webbing threads through it. I have thought about trying it.

So I guess I am getting old or just trying to get rid of money but I bought the stainless S-Tek Pure on ebay, a display model for 250.00. A deal, but still too pricey for a plate and simple harness. That said the Monoprene pad does really feel pretty nice, yeah I'm definitely getting old.....

I'm seriously considering this rig. Wondering if anyone has tried the Pro harness and has any thoughts?
Let me ask, what do you think the pro harness will give you that a simple, single webbing harness won't?

Honestly, I'm not trying to be an arse, I've just been down that road and my question is a good one to consider. I initially started with a "deluxe style" harness. It was clunky, took forever to adjust, and was not any more comfortable than the simple, single webbing harnesses that I now dive. I know that a bare back plate, and single webbing harness looks like a torture device. But if you dive a wetsuit, you seriously won't notice any difference in comfort.

Let me ask, what do you think the pro harness will give you that a simple, single webbing harness won't?

Honestly, I'm not trying to be an arse, I've just been down that road and my question is a good one to consider. I initially started with a "deluxe style" harness. It was clunky, took forever to adjust, and was not any more comfortable than the simple, single webbing harnesses that I now dive. I know that a bare back plate, and single webbing harness looks like a torture device. But if you dive a wetsuit, you seriously won't notice any difference in comfort.

Have you tried it yourself? Did you see how quickly and comfortably you can adjust the harness and all other features of the plate and harness?

Have you tried it yourself? Did you see how quickly and comfortably you can adjust the harness and all other features of the plate and harness?
Yes, still prefer a basic harness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom