Scubatoys.com!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KingViper

Contributor
Reaction score
Just wanted to say that I ordered all my gear from scubatoys.com I mean ALL my gear and their service is outstanding! Truly a great buying expeirence! Thanks Larry and SB for the refferal!

So what ALL did you get? Curious minds want to know...

KingViper:
Just wanted to say that I ordered all my gear from scubatoys.com I mean ALL my gear and their service is outstanding! Truly a great buying expeirence! Thanks Larry and SB for the refferal!

If you got a BCD check it over very carefully. The hubby, FRUMPY, bought a BCD from LeisurePro and it looked great. Went for our dive and he had a hard time keeping air in it, then it was slowly filling with water. Got home and searched the thing over very carefully and found two small holes in the bladder (behind the cumberbun). Once you take it for a dive- you cannot return it. We got stuck with an expensive dust collector. Yes, we tried putting a patch on it. We tried several different types of glues and patches to which none held for more than one dive. I am not saying anything bad about ScubaToys, just want you to check your equipment. We started using scubatoys after our incident with the other online shop. We do still buy stuff online, but mainly with scubatoys. Hope you enjoy your stuff.

Melissa

Melissa, when did your incident with the defective BC happen? Did you contact LP about it? You're right, it's pretty hard to discover a defect like that until you're in the water, and I think you'd have a pretty open-and-shut claim. Especially if you were asking for a straight replacement for the same item. If you're exchanging an item just because you didn't like it, they require the item be "in mint condition." But otherwise, they have a warranty (http://www.leisurepro.com/Downloads/Warranty.pdf) that covers "all defects in normal use of the equipment," "for the same period offered by the manufacturer." Seems that would certainly cover this. That having been said, I don't think you'd have any problem getting ScubaToys to cover something like that.

Marek K:
Melissa, when did your incident with the defective BC happen? Did you contact LP about it? You're right, it's pretty hard to discover a defect like that until you're in the water, and I think you'd have a pretty open-and-shut claim. Especially if you were asking for a straight replacement for the same item. If you're exchanging an item just because you didn't like it, they require the item be "in mint condition." But otherwise, they have a warranty (http://www.leisurepro.com/Downloads/Warranty.pdf) that covers "all defects in normal use of the equipment," "for the same period offered by the manufacturer." Seems that would certainly cover this. That having been said, I don't think you'd have any problem getting ScubaToys to cover something like that.

This was about 1 1/2 yrs ago. We were told that since we took it for a dive that they would not replace it or give us our money back. They said that it "could have" happened when we went out so they refused to help in anyway and the warranty would not cover it. There are just certain things we don't purchase online anymore, but for the most part we still buy from Scubatoys and Leisurepro.

Melissa

Perhaps all online retailers are not created equal in the area of working with customers on returns? Did you have a similar prob. with Scubatoys, or did this only happen with LP?

In my opinion, it's perfectly reasonably for dive shop (online or otherwise) to refuse to replace equipment that's been used and has "wear and tear" kind of damage such as bladder perforations. If I recall correctly, manufacturers explicitly exclude this kind of damage from warranty.

lilycat:
Perhaps all online retailers are not created equal in the area of working with customers on returns? Did you have a similar prob. with Scubatoys, or did this only happen with LP?

It has only happened with Leisurepro and on that particular item. We haven't had any problems with other equipment we buy from either online retailer.

(In my opinion, it's perfectly reasonably for dive shop (online or otherwise) to refuse to replace equipment that's been used and has "wear and tear" kind of damage such as bladder perforations. If I recall correctly, manufacturers explicitly exclude this kind of damage from warranty.)

We had it shipped by confirmation so we have the date it was sent and the date it was recieved. We dove the next day and called them the day after to report the problem. I do not consider "1" dive a wear and tear damage, but manufacturers do. The holes were the size of hole-punches. We made sure to check the entire BCD on the next purchase we made. I am just trying to warn anyone else who buys equipment online to check everything over not just once, but twice. Make sure to check under the cumberbun and around pockets for anytype of small cuts or holes.

Melissa

ch0ppersrule:
There are just certain things we don't purchase online anymore, but for the most part we still buy from Scubatoys and Leisurepro.

Melissa

Why on earth would you still buy from LP??? Your experience illustrates exactly what a lot of us know. They really really SUCK!

If you had gotten a defective BC from ScubaToys, they *definitely* would have made it right...no worries about the dives on it. I thought LP warranteed everything themselves? Why wouldn't they fix or replace it?

Your warning to the original poster bears no relevance to buying from ScubaToys. All online retailers are not the same. If this guy gets something wrong in his order, ScubaToys will make it right. Between myself and all of my family that buys from them, I can tell you they won't leave you stranded like LP did to you. All online stores are not the same. ScubaToys is, in my experience, the best of the best.

But I *really* can't understand why you would ever buy from LP again when ScubaToys will match all their prices. I would never buy from someone who stiffed me with a busted, grey market BC. Vote with your $$$

Melissa, I hate to say this but you two dropped the ball. As soon as you got it you should have inflated the BC and let it sit. An air leak would have been found then.

A friend got her BC back from service, she had an issue with the inflator. Well, we filled the tub and we filled the BC. We tested it for ourselves. A pool would have been better but our schedules prevented that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom