SDI Advanced Diver requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd recommend search and recovery. you'd be surprised at how some of those skills come into use! The right instructor makes this a great course and geared to making one a better, more self-reliant and safer diver.

on a side note...I generally do not encourage people to take a photography specialty (at least with me). Though I can and do take photos (thousands), I am not a great photog! There are people I dive with who are photo pros and a photo specialty with them is worth the cost....outside of any advanced classes.

What is this suggestion based on?

Based on what being a true master scuba diver should have understanding of .., night optionally...

And does anyone know if a PADI/Other agency specialty course could count as one of the 4 for the SDI Advanced Diver?

I know the requirements are 4 SDI specialty courses or "equivalent". However, the word equivalent is a bit vague; would all PADI specialities be considered equivalent to SDI specialties? What about a specialty that isn't offered by SDI?

I know the requirements are 4 SDI specialty courses or "equivalent". However, the word equivalent is a bit vague; would all PADI specialities be considered equivalent to SDI specialties? What about a specialty that isn't offered by SDI?

there is some leeway there. But PADI Deep is equivalent to SDI Deep, PADI navigation is equivalent to SDI. The core specialties basically match up. The SDI courses (depending on your instructor) should be a little "richer" in content than the PADI courses based on my experience.

there is some leeway there. But PADI Deep is equivalent to SDI Deep, PADI navigation is equivalent to SDI. The core specialties basically match up. The SDI courses (depending on your instructor) should be a little "richer" in content than the PADI courses based on my experience.

Or maybe the opposite.....the PADI courses might be richer. They often require more dives, for example.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I just finished my advanced adventure cert with SDI. would I be able to use that to go on dives that require an advanced cert? For instance, when I just had my OW cert I wanted to go on a wreck dive in mexico. The dive op would not let me do the dive. They said I needed to be advanced for that dive. So is the advanced adventure good enough?

It should be, but you may find some uninformed operator who does not know what SDI is or what the rating means.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom