SDI Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took PADI class work and enclosed diving. Passed both. Went for Open Water and passed. Upon completion, I received a SDI card. What difference between PADI and SDI card?

Hi Denny:

Firstly, welcome to the diving community. Hope you enjoy it and find diving exciting and rewarding.

OK, SDI and PADI open water certifications are similar... the knowledge and skills required to pass are virtually the same. This is because both agencies are members of an organization called Recreational Scuba Training Council and through it agree on what a scuba course should include.

One major difference between SDI and PADI is that SDI open water divers are taught to dive with a personal dive computer. PADI divers use dive tables. There are a couple of other subtle differences, but you're all set to dive anyplace in the world as an open water diver.

When you decide to continue your training -- particularly if you opt to take Advanced Open Water -- you may notice another difference between SDI and other agencies. We have Advanced Adventure, which is usually a weekend program and is the equivalent of PADI's advanced diver, and SDI also has Advanced Diver which takes longer than a weekend and requires a diver to log 25 dives. A bit confusing but I'm sure you can work out what I mean.

If you have any other questions, please contact me here or via email.

Take care and Dive Safe.

Steve; Thanks for your reply. I will have to grab my local PADI man so he can share more diving adventures with me. The whole group of teachers at my local PADI shop ScubaDiveandTravel are great.

Steve; Thanks for your reply. I will have to grab my local PADI man so he can share more diving adventures with me. The whole group of teachers at my local PADI shop ScubaDiveandTravel are great.

No worries Denny... ScubaDiveandTravel have been teaching our programs for a while. Very happy to hear they have treated you well. They're good folks... think they also teach TDI courses so you're all set.

Have fun and dive often and dive safe.

OK, SDI and PADI open water certifications are similar... the knowledge and skills required to pass are virtually the same.

This is true.

This is because both agencies are members of an organization called Recreational Scuba Training Council and through it agree on what a scuba course should include.

This is not true. Yes, they both belong to the RSTC, but that's not why their courses are so similar. If it were, then all RSTC members would have similar courses, yet there are very big differences between the entry level courses of various members. It would also mean either SDI would require tables or PADI wouldn't, but we know that's not the case either.

Denny, Walter has caught me in an over simplification... Members of the RSTC agree on the minimum standards for training.

Probably a nuance issue and of little consequence to you (but it seems important to someone). What this does mean in respect of your initial question is unchanged from my original answer. Cards from RSTC members tell shops, dive operators and charter boats that you have mastered at least a set minimum set of skills and shown understanding of a specific minimum set of dive-related topics.

Hope this clarifies any questions you may have.

Dive safe and enjoy... you are working with a good operation there.

Members of the RSTC agree on the minimum standards for training.

Some them set their individual agency standards at or near those minimums and as a result have standards that are quite similar. Others set the bar much higher and have very different standards. Members have all agreed that their standards will meet or exceed the RSTC minimums. Some people mistakenly believe that all members of the RSTC have similar standards.

Some them set their individual agency standards at or near those minimums and as a result have standards that are quite similar. Others set the bar much higher and have very different standards. Members have all agreed that their standards will meet or exceed the RSTC minimums. Some people mistakenly believe that all members of the RSTC have similar standards.

:deadhorse:

:)

Hi Denny, and congratulations! I'm not sure, because i don't know every thing about your specific case, but it sure sounds like a standards violation to me. If the course you paid for was advertised as a PADI course, and the materials you used were PADI materials, you really shoud have received a PADI card. It smacks of sketchy to me. I would demand the PADI card and see what they do. If they give you one, be sure the name of the instructor matches the one on the SDI card you got.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom