SDI Drysuit certification....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asimpkinsjr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently signed up to complete my dry suit certification at the LDS Ived used for the last few years. While I can consider that the dry suit courses may be newer....I was pretty disappointed with this course as someone who did my open water, my nitrox, and my buoyancy with SDI.... there where numerous mistakes on the open book written that simply where a matter of lack of attention to detail, and sloppiness. As a former sub sailor (US Navy)...attention to detail was drilled into our heads over and over. Examples of which include:

The ScubaIQ review is based off of Barsky, Long, & Stinton, "Dry Suit Diving"....the workbooklet is supposed to correlate its questions with the chapters of the book however this was hardly the case.

Chapter 1 asks questions about TLS that are not answered in Chapter one of the book...the answer verbatim to this question is not addressed until Chapter 3.

Chapter 1 workbooklet asks questions about the "supersuit" however the fill in the blank answers are verbatim the applicable ones for the "Unitsuit"

Workbook Chapter 4 questions are based on answers found in Chapter 1,3, etc of the book. Problem is the workbook labels the questions as being the reading from Chapter 4.

Chapter 5 of the workbook labeled "dry suit valves" are questions from chapter 4, One of the questions from Chapter 5 test actually came from page 94, Chapter 8 regarding exhaust valve operation....

I won't list everything I found here, I've told my dive shop Ill go over it with them as part of the dry suit class....I will say this...it made my learning experience frustrating being given learning and test materials that had so many errors...I found myself googling some of the questions in the workbook because they are not in the part of the book thats directed. Whats the point of buying a 30$ book where the study materials and paragraphs are not what are directed in the SDI published workbook. I would ask SDI that if you choose to offer a class to your membership...they deserve material that is professionally developed. This stuff for this cert unlike the other 3 I've experienced looked like it was someone phoning in their homework.

Guys show us better in the future.

I'm amazed they could make that many chapters for drysuits. I think I did my class out of the PADI Advanced open water book chapter on drysuits. (But it has been a while)

You are correct, we made a mistake in the production of our workbooks. We are very sorry about this as it is not the type of material we find represents our organization in a proper manner. Simply put, when the diver manual was changed, we never corrected our work book. Thank you for taking the time to point this out to us. We will immediately pull all workbooks from stock, and create a new one that matches the manual. When we are done we would be happy to get you another one at no charge of course. Please contact me directly at dennis.pulley@tdisdi.com to work out the details, and if don't mind sending any other error you may have found.

You are correct, we made a mistake in the production of our workbooks. We are very sorry about this as it is not the type of material we find represents our organization in a proper manner. Simply put, when the diver manual was changed, we never corrected our work book. Thank you for taking the time to point this out to us. We will immediately pull all workbooks from stock, and create a new one that matches the manual. When we are done we would be happy to get you another one at no charge of course. Please contact me directly at dennis.pulley@tdisdi.com to work out the details, and if don't mind sending any other error you may have found.

Dennis, thanks for your attention to this. Greg Kobrin at New England Dive faxed my corrections over yesterday. Please do email me at asimpkinsjr@gmail.com if they don't make it to you.

Back
Top Bottom