Wear at the join between Kubi ring and drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like this is a design flaw with Kubi, have you considered converting to a better system which uses SiTech PU rings?
This is the way!

He's probably 100% accurate.... what do you think @Boarderguy :stirpot: :poke:

Sounds like this is a design flaw with Kubi, have you considered converting to a better system which uses SiTech PU rings?
No, I left SiTech PU rings for the MUCH better Kubi system. I love the SiTech neck rings, but had nothing but issues with the glove side SiTech rings. They warp in warm weather. I struggled with them for about 400 dives before coughing up the money for Kubi. I wouldn't go back.

I had to use 2mm neo ring covers (IIRC) with the SiTech, and glove/suit interface leaked about 1/4 to 1/3 of my dives. So much so that I started wearing 3mm neo gloves under the thin green grainger dry gloves and leaving the wrist seal sealed. That way if my hands got wet they still were reasonably warm and my arm stayed dry.

No, I left SiTech PU rings for the MUCH better Kubi system. I love the SiTech neck rings, but had nothing but issues with the glove side SiTech rings. They warp in warm weather. I struggled with them for about 400 dives before coughing up the money for Kubi. I wouldn't go back.
I was jk to bust @Boarderguy balls. It's a favorite pastime of mine when I'm not diving!

I have had PU rings on 2 suits (not 400 dives though:( ). Have yet to have an issue. I always leave the suit side ring installed in so I'm not sure how they would warp? Matter of fact I cut my seals back and go "seal-less".

Tbh, it seems like the 80mm is just too big for the suit. I wonder what they would do for the 90mm rings? I guess you could either keep gluing tape ~ yearly or switch out for the smaller rings.

I was jk to bust @Boarderguy balls. It's a favorite pastime of mine when I'm not diving!

I have had PU rings on 2 suits (not 400 dives though:( ). Have yet to have an issue. I always leave the suit side ring installed in so I'm not sure how they would warp? Matter of fact I cut my seals back and go "seal-less".

Tbh, it seems like the 80mm is just too big for the suit. I wonder what they would do for the 90mm rings? I guess you could either keep gluing tape ~ yearly or switch out for the smaller rings.
We're talking two styles. My PU suitside rings were glued on. It was the glove side rings that would warp. Might be our summer air temps of 39C or more.

The key with Kubi is to use rings that match the sleeve end diameter and not stretch the fabric. Any good seamstress can expand the diameter to fit the rings. You sew in a wedge of appropriate fabric to increase the diameter.

In my case it will be easier to patch/reinforce every 2-4 years than to make the diameter adjustment. Now my backup suit has the arms too short and I might add some sleeve length (and diameter).

Mine are 90s because I have thick and non-contorting palms. My stubby little fingers make the right size glove have floppy clown fingers.

Mine are 90s because I have thick and non-contorting palms. My stubby little fingers make the right size glove have floppy clown fingers.
Interesting that your suit doesn't look stretched like hers?

I haven't had that problem yet with my Kubi ring system yet. I use a 80mm on suit that is 3 years old and it doesn't seem to stretch the material.

SiTech glove systems are junk, but their suit interface (PU ring) is excellent.

I've seen Kubis, wouldn't touch them compared to a Rolock.

Reactions: Zef

Back
Top Bottom