SDI/TDI/ERDI Instructor course pre-qual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harleydiver1

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Instructor pre-qual & course director requirements for allowing an Instructor candidate into a course.

Is there a SOP/standards/ethics for the following.

1. Is there any type of background check? e.i. for someone that has a felony conviction that might involve aggravated assault & kidnapping.
2. Is a medical evaluation as set by scuba industry standards required? Not just a basic DOT physical card signed off by a chiropractor.
3. Would someone that has chronic recurring back problems, unable at times to perhaps even lift a set of keys let alone a student in trouble be allowed to become an instructor?
4. Would a course director waive these requirements or perhaps put on blinders in order to make a buck or gain personal retribution in some form or manner?
5. ERDI instructor status...can one gain this rating with ZERO experience upon completion of an Instructor course? What about TDI instructor upon completion of an instructor course with no technical experience, not even basic nitrox certified?
6. What checks and balances are in place?

Lets see what type & level of discussion is generated as well as other questions or concerns.

I would suggest reading the code of ethics that members sign each year on renewal.

A couple of specifics: leadership levels require a physician signed form

Back problems are mentioned in the medical assessment; however, I am sure people are tempted to lie. That;s what QAs are for

This is the SDI TDI ERDI forum and we do not have course directors. If you mean instructor trainers and Staff ITs, they do not have authority to waive any standards.

I am NOT an ERDI IT but I believe instructor prerequisites include being an active member of a PSD team or having proof of experience in the field. PSD is really self-policing in this regard because of the nature of the beast.

I AM HOWEVER, an IT for TDI and there is a requirement for an instructor candidate to have experience as a technical diver and certification as a diver at least one level above the instructor level being applied for BEFORE the instructor class begins.

Checks and balances include a comprehensive QA process and open forums such as this which keeps an 'open door' between SDI, TDI, ERDI senior staff and the general community and other professionals

And on that note, and reading the specifics mentioned here, I would suggest you call Sean Harrison our v-p training with your concerns if they relate to someone in particular.

Steve,

Thanks for a fast and timely reply/comment.

1. Are your code of ethics consumer available?
2. Then a specific physical form is required I would assume.
3. I can appreciate QA's and their tough job and assessment of candidates & professionals. I would suspect that a few slip by.
4. I stand corrected on the terminology of course director. I should have said Instructor trainers and Staff IT's. Good to hear that they do not have the authority to waive any standards.
5. As an Instructor with many years of PST/PSD my thoughts were that to be an ERDI Instructor one needed experience that was validated not just stated. So, one would believe that an SDI Instructor could not become an ERDI Instructor upon completion of an SDI Instructor course.
6.Would you clarify one level above Instructor before becoming a TDI Instructor. Might this mean that without experience one could/would not receive a TDI Instructor certification at the same time as completing an SDI Instructor course?
7. Check & balance & an open door policy is to be commended. Again, thank you for your reply and open and honest answers.
8. I have been meaning to chat with Sean for awhile now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom