SE Florida for timid beginner, early March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Southeast Florida can be tough, particularly late fall, winter, and early spring. The Keys have always seemed more benign, but not without their own rough seas. This is one reason Southeast Florida has not become a real diving destination, especially, outside of the summer season. This is particularly hard on visitors, who may be locked into a single location and/or operator and do not know the area well.

Over the years, I have developed a strategy that works quite well and allows me to get out whenever it is possible. The inlets are not all the same. The Boynton inlet is very narrow and relatively shallow, making it very sensitive to big seas. The Jupiter inlet is intermediate and the West Palm inlet is big, wide, and deep. I mainly use 5 operators, 3 in Boynton, 1 in Jupiter, and 1 in West Palm. If I can't get out in Boynton, I can sometimes get out in Jupiter. If I can't get out in Jupiter I can get out in West Palm if the conditions are doable. If I can't get out in West Palm, sometimes I can still do the Blue Heron Bridge. If none of those are available, well, I ride my bike to the Boynton Inlet and watch the breaking waves and big swells. Sometimes brave, or something else, boaters, make for exciting entertainment.

This season has been particularly hard, all the operators I use can't remember a tougher year. So far this year, I've dived 21 of 26 days in 4 visits and have gotten in 43 dives. I've not yet dived the BHB this year. Of course, there are some caveats. Many of the trips have been in relatively rough seas, I have seen many seasick divers. I've spent a lot of energy trying to not fall down and have been exhausted on some days. It has also been cool and windy, a good boat coat has been a necessity. Of course, I have also escaped frigid temperatures and snow at home in Philadelphia, there's always a bright side :)

Good diving, Craig

Yeah...but. You have a home in Boynton. Easy for you.

My point is that it's almost not worth planning an actual vacation DIVE trip to SF. I've done that too many times and ended up spending yet another morning staring at helmets at the History of Scuba Diving Museum. A pity because despite the immense size of the continental USA,, there's nowhere else that offers warm water tropical diving. (Although in about 50 years, we could all be diving Collins Ave in Miami).

Yeah...but. You have a home in Boynton. Easy for you.

My point is that it's almost not worth planning an actual vacation DIVE trip to SF. I've done that too many times and ended up spending yet another morning staring at helmets at the History of Scuba Diving Museum. A pity because despite the immense size of the continental USA,, there's nowhere else that offers warm water tropical diving. (Although in about 50 years, we could all be diving Collins Ave in Miami).
I actually started using this strategy on visits to Southeast Florida, 3 years before we bought our townhouse. Of course, it's easier for me now, after years of practice and having a personal relationship with the 5 operators I use. It's only 15 miles from Boynton Beach to West Palm, and another 15 miles to Jupiter, an easy drive up 95.

My main point is that one might be more successful if one is flexible and has backup plans in case the primary plan falls through. I don't know, this may be more effective up where I dive than in the northern Keys. Just offering a potentially helpful hint, I'd be glad to supply additional details to anyone contemplating a visit.

Nobody was going out, and BHB was undiveable, the two days we came down to the area. But we had planned the road trip several weeks in advance and hoped for the best. Our "backup plan" involved enjoying a visit with friends.

Nobody was going out, and BHB was undiveable, the two days we came down to the area. But we had planned the road trip several weeks in advance and hoped for the best. Our "backup plan" involved enjoying a visit with friends.
Sometimes, you just can't go diving :(

Sometimes, you just can't go diving :(

I can't "Like" that.

Sure you can plan trip, you just have to plan it last minute;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom