Sea Air Trimetal good as an AL Legend ACD ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PvtStash

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
because they cost about the same... :(

I currently own an AL Titan LX Supreme , great quality reg with coldwater performance that one can have for about $200.

I've heard good things about the Trimetal, but its around $360 and thats Without the coldwater kit which I'm guessing puts in the $400 range, even more than the low end Aqualung Legend series... and Twice the price of great breathing coldwater Titan LXS

It seems like a large disparity... either that or the Tri-metal is scuba's best kept secret as the Best reg nobody talks about...

So... what gives?

The TriMetal can be bought for $300 MAP. (or less if you ask a dealer for a discount).

The AL Legend is much more.

Anyway,,, for comparison, I think it's be hard to find many reviews as the Tri-Metal hasn't been run head to head with the AL line that much. But Scubadiving.com had a couple decent reviews that gave very high marks to the Tri-Metal

Here are some reviews that include it.

In Scuba Diving Magazine - 2005''s Best New Breathers
Scuba Diving Magazine - The Mother of All Reg Reviews - Regulator Test Sco
Scuba Diving Magazine - Regulator Durability

It was listed as ScubaLab: Tester's Choice, Best Buy (see article in above link for full details)

There was a comparison review of the Tri-Metal against other "Power Breather" regulators a few years back on Scubadiving. It compared all the "High end" regulators, including Apeks, Aqualung, and I think ScubaPro, etc. It also included the Tri-Metal against all the other heavey hitters. The Tri-Metal scored very well. I can't find it on their site anymore. Maybe Mike Pantoni at XS has a copy of it or Nick Lucy at Scuba Diving can find it.

EDIT: Found it on XS's site

http://www.xsscuba.com/downloads/muscle_regs_11_05.pdf

along with a PDF review of one of the above articles
http://www.xsscuba.com/downloads/reg_review_06_05.pdf

Last edited:
The TriMetal can be bought for $300 MAP. (or less if you ask a dealer for a discount).

The AL Legend is much more.

well no... LP currently lists the Sea Air Trimetal for $360 ... and thats NOT the coldwater rated version (ie, with Ice Boot or Cold Kit or whatever its being called) , I'm guessing the Cold kit upgrade puts this reg in the $400 range.

The AL Legend ACD is going for $350 ... so... Not in fact more... but less.

Here is is for $300 at Dive Sports. I'm betting that if you called Phil on the phone that he'd prob give it to you for less. (you can ask him also what the coldwater kit costs)

XS Scuba SeaAir TriMetal Regulator - Sea Air Tri Metal Regulator

As for the price comparison, I didn't know you were using Leisure Pro for price comparison. While there is nothing wrong with Liesure Pro, you won't get a manufacturer warranty if you buy an Aqualung product from them. LP is not an Aqualung dealer.

so when I said the AL Legend was more, I was using AL's regular dealer price.

Also from looking at the picture of the Legend on LP's site just now, it is showing the older model Legend. They've changed the front of it for 2008. Nothing wrong with it being a year old, but jsut goes to show they are moving old product from 2007 and not an authorized dealer with up-to-date-product is all. that's prob part of why the price is a little cheaper. The Legend is a great regulator also and you wouldn't be unhappy with it either. But just FYI in the differences in product year model and warranty and you'll find your not completely comparing apples to apples.

EDIT:

The coldwater kit for the XS Scuba is only $16 retail

Ice Breaker Cold Water Boot (for XS Scuba Tri-Metal RG200), pn: RP-ICE, $16.00

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom