Sea and sea YS 350 Pro-TTL and newer DSLR cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rayallyn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a SEA and SEA YS-350 which has the five pin ttl connector. The flash was not designed for DSLRs it was for the film cameras, therefore the ttl sync cords and flash will not work with digital ttl. It's complicated to explain but I found a way. I have a Nimar 3D housing for a Nikon D5200 and it has a five pin connector. The strobe will not work ttl with this connection but the housing has room to open the on camera flash. So, you do away with the sync cord altogether and place the strobe power selector on slave and settings selector on TTL.
The on camera flash sets off the YS-350 and the exposure is correct. No need for Sea and Sea 400 dollar plus guide number controller. DSC_0015 -1.jpgDSC_0055 -1.jpg

Your camera is dttl and strobe is ttl. TTL cannot be used. But with camera in manual modes it fires the flash in manual modes. I have not used the sea and sea strobes. But i have an ikelite AI strobe and ikelite 100a strobe as well as nikonos sb105 strobes. Works very well in manual modes on strobe. I set camera on manual mode. Either full manual or aperture priority. On full manual I set the speed and aperture and use the strobe to subject distance chart for the power setting on the strobe. Most of the time i use 1/2 power with single strobe ikelite ai strobe or with two sb105 i use 1/4 power on both. Your sea and sea strobe probably would be 1/2 power setting for photos to 3 foot. Full power after that. For samples my website is reefscenics | SmugMug

Back
Top Bottom