Sea and Sea YS-D2J or Inon Z330?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been shooting two S&S YS-D2s with my Sony a6500 and Nauticam housing for about a year with no problems whatsoever. So far, so good...I do not fire them more than once above water (just to make sure the fiber optics are functioning), and I religiously check the O-rings on the battery compartment. Like I said, so far, so good.

I owned 5 D1s, D2s.
1 broke
1 burned
1 only sync if I set it to pre-flash
1 doesnt fire
1 is still working!
None of them is ever repairable, they offer you a ridiculous discount on a new one (around 20 USD)
So I will have to recommend anything EXCEPT the Sea & Sea.

I have been shooting Inon S-2000s for years on a T2i and after recently upgrading to a Canon 5DM4 I have I decided I want something wider and brighter. I got my first Z330 yesterday and will get the second as soon as my shop gets some more. They are really highly anticipated and hard to get. My shop is getting requests from all over the world for them. No one has them in stock so if you are interested get your order in ASAP. Inon produces slowly but with good quality. I am excited to get them in the water in the Turks and Caicos in May!

I use now an Inon S2000 and it works well but I would like to have a stronger strobe.
Did you try the Z330? are you satisfied with it?
Is it comfortable to use it?
Does the light shade help with the back scatter? ( I'm still having problems with it....)
Do you know if the S2000 as a second strobe gives good results?
thank you

I own ikelite ds-160 but I am about to change my housing and I wanted to get new strobes, so I narrowed my search down to Inon z330 or sea and sea ys-d2j. Any comments? I have been reading that inon is more reliable, another reviews are getting some kind of troubles with S&S. And I think the new Inons are cheaper.

Thank you!
Hi
I use an Inon S2000 and want a stronger strobe. After reading on the forum about the Sea&Sea i narrowed the otions to Ikelite ds160 and Inon z330. It will help me know:
1. if you were satisfied with the ds-160 and you change it only because of the housing or you had problems with it
2. It's very strong - did you use it for macro too?

thank you

Been shooting two S&S YS-D2s with my Sony a6500 and Nauticam housing for about a year with no problems whatsoever. So far, so good...I do not fire them more than once above water (just to make sure the fiber optics are functioning), and I religiously check the O-rings on the battery compartment. Like I said, so far, so good.

My experience too. I have 2 D2s and 2 YS-03s and have not had any problems with anything.

I use now an Inon S2000 and it works well but I would like to have a stronger strobe.
Did you try the Z330? are you satisfied with it?
Is it comfortable to use it?
Does the light shade help with the back scatter? ( I'm still having problems with it....)
Do you know if the S2000 as a second strobe gives good results?
thank you
I really like the Z330 and now have two of them but have not shot them both together yet. It is very nice to shoot and MUCH more powerful than the S2000. The controls are really easy to work. When I shot them in TTL mode they cohabited well. When I shot manual I could not get the 2000 to make any meaningful contribution. The only reason for the shad is for very wide. If I have my 8-15 on then I will position it in the middle to help keep the flash glow down. If I am not shooting that lens I take it off. The biggest challenge is getting one or two. I got the first one my shop had and then bought the second one they got a few months later. Inon launches new products slowly which is great for quality control but not for volume. The should be getting easier to get.

I really like the Z330 and now have two of them but have not shot them both together yet. It is very nice to shoot and MUCH more powerful than the S2000. The controls are really easy to work. When I shot them in TTL mode they cohabited well. When I shot manual I could not get the 2000 to make any meaningful contribution. The only reason for the shad is for very wide. If I have my 8-15 on then I will position it in the middle to help keep the flash glow down. If I am not shooting that lens I take it off. The biggest challenge is getting one or two. I got the first one my shop had and then bought the second one they got a few months later. Inon launches new products slowly which is great for quality control but not for volume. The should be getting easier to get.

Thanks! did you use it for macro too?

Absolutely, it is terrific for macro. When shutting down to F32 you need a lot of light and it delivers. The modeling light is really helpful to make sure you are actually going to illuminate your subject.

Thank you, looks good!

I shoot with INON Z240 type IV since 2012 ( + 500 dives ) , at the and the lamps was a little bit brown ( maybe because I use snoot a lot ) and I changed them ( 40 euro each lamp , ie 80 euro for 1 strobe replacement ) and now they are like new !

In the meantime I bought 2 x INON Z330 and I used them on my last trip ( Gorontalo ( Indonesia ) April 2018 - trip report ) : very satisfy of them !! great coverage and power for wide angle shooting .
For macro I rate INON Z240 more than enough .

Back
Top Bottom