Sea Horses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw a couple in Coz before.. near paradise. But if you wanna see more than one or two I'll suggest belize.. We stayed on caye caulker and there were dozens in the shallow mangroves around the caye. 3-6ft deep so just a mask and snorkel. We even took photos of them from the kayak THROUGH the surface!

P5031033.jpg

In Coz they used to be commonly found in the sea grasses at the north end of Paradise Reef just before you had to surface due to the cruise ship no-pass zone and rope that lays across the bottom. They could also be found plentiful right off the shore of the old Plaza Las Glorias (taken over and turned into the Cozumel Palace years ago). Last year when we were in Coz, Carnival was expanding and building yet another pier on the southern cruise dock. As a result, a great deal of sediment and debris was being carried north in the due to the construction and the DM's advised us that all of the sea horses have left. We dove it anyway anyway looking for some and we found none. Where they went is anyone's guess. They are somewhere, just have to find them. There is a massive price that is paid for "progress" and the 100's of thousands of cruising tourists who visit the island for a few hours have no idea what their ship passed over making it's way to the dock nor do they care. As always, if you want to see very special things you have to travel further and further.

---------- Post added November 18th, 2015 at 06:24 PM ----------

Aaron.. We dove Ambergris Cay in Belize over a decade ago (back when there wasn't a paved or cobble stone on the island.. just a bunch of dust from the golf carts as they traveled about). I remember how the residents/locals were so upset with the roads just starting to be layed in cobblestone as they said that stone burned their feet and got so hot while the natural roads were comfortable to walk on even during peak heat. Looking at Ambergris today, Cay Caulker looks like Ambergris did a decade ago. It is such a shame to see such great places destroyed not only for divers who visit for a week or two but for those who live there as well. Money and development seems to be the root of all evil. I guess the question is how far must we all travel these days to enjoy nature just as it has alweys been. I fear there is no such place regardless of how far we travel. Wherever we have traveled the locals tell us "you should have seen it 20 years ago".

Dwarf seahorse (Hippocampus zosterae) with my finger for scale. In twenty-five years of diving in Cozumel, we've only seen two of this species; either rare or hard to find.

dwarfseahorse.jpg

Thanks everyone...I promised my GF I would take her to Coz this summer. I am hoping next year to take her to Coco View in Roatan.

Oldbear... We've been searching for Seahorses for years. My wife is so obsessed with them she found one in a bag of Cheetos while on a dive trip in the FL Keys! We listed it on ebay and it ended up selling for $100 with the proceeds going to Reef Relief in Key West. The high bidder was Jack Smith who owns 101.7FM Pirate Radio in Key West. I think it may be hanging today on a wall in his studio to this day (if he didn't eat it). I can't imagine it would ever spoil.

Seahorse-shaped Cheeto sold on eBay | www.palmbeachpost.com

Chee-horse.jpg

Seahorses are masters of disguise. They tend to be found near structure, and are able to blend in perfectly.. They stretch and contort their bodies much more than many people realize. For every seahorse spotted by a diver there usually are several more that evade detection.

Seahorses prefer shallower water where there is abundant food. Reefs, especially deeper reefs, are not their preferred habitat. Weedy patches, mangroves, old wooden structures and similar places are where they are most likely to be found. This tends to be true on every island with which I am familiar, and is certainly true here in NJ, where a hour's dive in an appropriate habitat will often reveal a dozen or more seahorses in late summer.

In quiet Caribbean coves I have seen numbers of them in less than two feet of water. They often are extremely numerous around old docks and rotting bulkheads from New England to the Caribbean.

They are among the rewards garnered by those who dive in shallow non-traditional areas.

If you dive with The Blue Angel and have Jose for your dive master, you're bound to see the seahorses. I swear he knows where they all hide!!!

Of course, for every seahorse we may find we probably missed 20! As agilis said, they are masters of disguise. Quite frankly, seahorses are a walk in the park compared to finding a Frogfish. I have yet to find a Frogfish myself but the right DM in COZ can find them (photo from 2012) DM Walter with A.S. found it and even he admits he was lucky! Frog Fish 3.jpg

It's been quite a while since the last Coz trip, but found a seahorse ( via DM ) on Villa Blanca wall - at approx 50 feet. mauve and white striped. It was well hidden. Current was medium for Cozumel. Also the first trip with a camera.

Cozumel 012.jpg

If you are not diving or just want to see the seahorses, Scripps Aquarium in San Diego has the best and most comprehensive seahorse exhibit I have ever seen. There are all sizes, pregnant daddies, etc. :DSea Dragons too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom