Sea Lice on Seven Mile Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Makai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife saw a reference on the web to the fact that they have sea lice in the waters around Grand Gayman. Now she's in a panic and trying to reschedule our vacation. So, how bad is this really? Particularly in the area of Seven Mile Beach, and in the month of November?

I realize that this topic has come up before but the last thread I saw was at least a couple of years old. Any current information would be greatly appreciated.

Thimble jellyfish (the cause of "sea lice" or more properly Sea Bather's Eruption) do pass through the area, but only in the later spring. Think April to June.

Chance of sea lice in Grand Cayman in November is zero.

Thanks, Drew. That's good to know, particularly from someone on the island. Say, how's the weather in November? Is that a good time to visit?

November is usually absolutely lovely. Water is still quite warm and usually the seas are quite cooperative. It is still the end of hurricane season, but if we can avoid that then it is usually relatively calm and easy diving.

Ok - so my boys and I will be in GC first two weeks of August.

1. What is sea lice?
2. Will they be there when we're there?

Thanks! Marla

I've read that "sea lice" are actually the larvae of the thimble jellyfish. If you swim through them, and they get pressed against your skin, they may sting you causing an itchy, red rash. Here's an informative (if somewhat alarmist) webpage on the subject:

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

I'll check to Drew and the other locals to comment on how accurate this information is. I understand you can protect yourself easily with a number of home remedies or with a commercial product called "Safe Sea" which is available at your LDS or online.

"Sea lice" is a colloquial term for a medical condition known as Sea Bather's Eruption. This is a condition caused by contact with the larvae of the thimble jellyfish. Much like poison ivy or poison oak, sea lice can cause a rash and inflammation in sensitive people.

Some people, myself included, are highly sensitive and can end up with a painful itching rash particularly in areas where the bathing suit contacts the skin. The larvae manage to get under the clothing and where the clothing contacts the skin, the larvae are pushed against the skin causing them to trigger and sting. Being stung on particularly sensitive body parts is a real PAIN.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom