Sea Lice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil_218

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A friend of mine visited Pensecola a few months back and came back with what was later guessed to be sea lice. She had been walking on the beach collecting shells early in the morning and figures she may have gotten it from the shell she collected. After doing some reading it sounds like it is something that floats in the water. Is this common to Pensecola and would an exposure suit protect a person from it?

Thanks.

I agree with Pat. Many different kind of critters can leave stinging residue around. No matter how warm it is...I generally always wear a skin to guard against jelly fish and other things. But sea lice can get in under your wetsuit and cause some rashes at times, even with a skin on. Doesn't happen often, and it is generally very mild unless someone has an unusual reaction to them.

Sea lice bites:

sea-lice-1.jpg

sea-lice-2.jpg

Jelly fish sting:

Jellyfish184x200.jpg

In both cases it is a good idea to apply sand and rub off any nematocysts.

After that I like to either apply either vinegar or some of the over the counter remedies.

WipeAwayJellySting.gif
(this stuff works great)

I may be wrong but my understanding of the role of vinegar is different from above. I thought the idea behind vinegar is to disable the chemoreceptors of the nematocysts (there are pressure sensitive ones that go off on contact and chemically sensitive ones that react to certain substances, like the oil on our skin). Which is also why you aren't supposed to use fresh water, it makes them all fire in certain species of jellyfish. Either way I'm hoping whatever jellyfish did the damage above is not one I ever run into, looks like a man-o-war sting.

I may be wrong but my understanding of the role of vinegar is different from above. I thought the idea behind vinegar is to disable the chemoreceptors of the nematocysts (there are pressure sensitive ones that go off on contact and chemically sensitive ones that react to certain substances, like the oil on our skin). Which is also why you aren't supposed to use fresh water, it makes them all fire in certain species of jellyfish. Either way I'm hoping whatever jellyfish did the damage above is not one I ever run into, looks like a man-o-war sting.

I use the sand to get of any tenticles still attached. I then use something to take away the pain. I have been using that wipe away pain stuff over the last couple of years and it works instantly. I found some info on jelly fish stings, here it is:

"NOT RUBBING is the best treatment. Applying some vinegar to stop the nematocysts from firing new stingers would be the second treatment. Then remove any 'gossamer' strings you can find. ( the skin on your fingers usually cannot feel the stinging so removal with your fingers is ok). After this, the best thing is very hot water ( but not burning) and that is about all you can do but wait for the pain to go away. Some people use amonia. I suggest you do NOT use meat tenderizer.

------------- The following information is from John Hopkins University [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]------

With more than 10,000 species in the sea, jellyfish are responsible for the most common human envenomations. More than 100 species are toxic to humans, and contact with toxic jellyfish causes a wide range of conditions, from cutaneous rashes to cardiovascular and respiratory collapse.

Jellyfish are categorized into 4 classes as follows:

• Hydrozoa (Portuguese man-of-war)
• Scyphozoa (true jellyfish; most common)
• Cubozoa (box jellyfish; most toxic. NOT found in Caribbean)
• Anthozoa (sea anemones and corals)

Jellyfish have a single gastrovascular cavity opening, which is used for digestion and circulation, and a set of tentacles. The tentacles are covered with batteries of specialized stinging cells termed nematocytes. Each nematocyte contains a stinging apparatus known as the nematocyst. This stinging apparatus basically consists of a poison sac with an attached sharp hollow tube armed with barbs.
Detached tentacles found on the beach pose a hazard to humans because they remain capable of envenomation for several weeks.

Pathophysiology: The stinging process of the nematocyte resembles a jack-in-the-box mechanism. Specifically, mechanical and chemical stimulation of the sensory hairs (ie, cnidocil) surrounding the pressurized nematocyte results in a calcium-mediated bioelectric signal that causes an opening of its lid, allowing the ejection of the nematocyst into the prey to express the venom. This pressurized process has a high internal hydrostatic pressure of 150 atm that causes the ejection to occur within 3 milliseconds, with an acceleration power of 40,000 G and a force of penetration of 20-33 kilopascals. In addition, the nematocyst is capable of penetrating up to a depth of 0.9 mm. This depth deposits the toxin into the microvasculature of the dermal tissue to be absorbed into the systemic circulation and anchors the tentacles to the prey. Finally, the nematocyte must be replaced because it cannot regenerate the ejected nematocyst. This replacement is done via differentiation of the pluripotent cells.

Nematocysts

The nematocysts' size and arrangement on jellyfish tentacles differ from species to species, much like a fingerprint. This architectural arrangement of warts, ridges, spirals, and terminal swelling may be reflected in the skin pattern left via the sting and helps identify the species involved in the envenomation.

Toxin

Microscopically, nematocysts appear structurally similar from one species to another, but the venom differs in composition. For example, because the box jellyfish feeds on fish larger than its own body, it requires potent venom for rapid paralysis. While the amount of toxin expressed by a single nematocyst is minute, several thousand nematocysts discharging at once have a significant effect.
Functionally, the toxin causes sodium and calcium ion transport abnormalities, disrupts cellular membranes, releases inflammatory mediators, and acts as a direct toxin on the myocardium, nervous tissue, hepatic tissue, and kidneys.
Specifically, the toxin may contain catecholamines, vasoactive amines (eg, histamine, serotonin), kinins, collagenases, hyaluronidases, proteases, phospholipases, fibrinolysins, dermatoneurotoxins, cardiotoxins, neurotoxins, nephrotoxins, myotoxins, and antigenic proteins. The protein component of the toxin tends to be heat labile, nondialyzable, and is degradable by proteolytic agents.

Reaction to venom

Immediate acute reactions to the venom tend to be toxic rather than allergic. Since pain occurs immediately after exposure, venom injection into different mammals induces similar clinical results, and victims can be stung repeatedly without differences in symptoms. The more rapidly the venom gets into the bloodstream, the higher the venom concentration in blood and the more rapid the onset of systemic symptoms. Delayed reactions to jellyfish stings are related immunologically, as evidenced by persistent immunoglobulin G (IgG) levels, prolonged T-cell response, and cross-reactivity among various jellyfish venom antigens.

Frequency:

• Internationally: Jellyfish stings occur in tropical oceans, especially between latitudes 30° south to 45° north, because of a high natural concentration of coelenterates.

Mortality/Morbidity:

Jellyfish stings usually are mild, except those caused by species in the South Pacific, such as the box jellyfish or Portuguese man-of-war. Exact mortality and morbidity is not known because of underreporting and the lack of an international jellyfish sting registry.

• The sting of the Portuguese man-of-war is more painful than a common jellyfish sting. It has been described as feeling like being struck by a lightning bolt, and some victims dread it more than a shark bite. This sting has been responsible for 2 reported deaths.

In Vieques we occasionally get Portuguese man-o-war jellyfish, every few years.

Race: No racial predilection exists. Any differences in individual reactions to jellyfish are a reflection of immune status rather than race.

Sex:

• Lower body weight makes women more susceptible than men to the same amount of jellyfish venom.

• Children are most susceptible to the effects of toxins because of their large surface area–to–volume ratio and lower body weight.
• Older adults are more susceptible than younger adults because of their decreased physiologic reserves and concurrent debilitation.

CLINICAL

For patients presenting with jellyfish stings, it is essential to ascertain (1) the time of envenomation, (2) the nature of the incident, (3) a description of the coelenterate, and (4) local and systemic symptoms.

• Toxicity and variations of symptoms depend on several factors.
Patient age and health, Patient body weight relative to the toxin amount, Patient surface area involved in the sting (any sting >50% of limb area is associated with severe envenomation), Thickness of the skin at contact points (calloused palms and soles are most resistant), Site of envenomation (proximity to head and torso results in quicker venom absorption into central circulation)

Species of the jellyfish
Maturity of the jellyfish
Venom potency
Number of nematocysts discharged

• Hot water sensation with skin tingling or stinging may be reported at the body site where the jellyfish originally made contact, secondary to pain and stinging after the release of thousands of nematocysts at the site.

• Variations in reactions to the sting appear to be related to the specific toxicity of the venom. Venom deposited intravascularly causes quicker onset of symptoms and signs. Physical findings of envenomation can be classified as local effects, systemic effects, delayed effects, or specific jellyfish syndromes.

• Mild envenomation
Local skin contact reactions
Tenderness, burning, and pruritus, which may spread centrally and differ in intensity depending on the species involved
Local soft tissue edema and angioedema
Erythematous papules and blisters in a whiplike pattern with desquamation within 1-8 weeks
Ischemic changes distal from localized arterial vasospasm underlying the sting site
Thrombophlebitis of the vessel underlying the sting site
Local neuropraxia occurring adjacent to sting site from immunologic reaction to toxin or to toxin-induced alteration of the nerve's ionic permeability
Tender regional lymphadenopathy
Distant skin site reactions secondary to a hypersensitive response to the antigenic component of the venom

• Moderate or severe envenomation implies the appearance of systemic symptoms following the initial localized reaction.
Cardiovascular
Peripheral and coronary vasospasm
Dilated cardiomyopathy
Hypokinetic cardiac failure (hyperkinetic failure in Irukandji syndrome)
Arrhythmia from toxin-induced damage to Purkinje fibers
Cardiovascular collapse or arrest, usually indicating a larger amount of envenomation than in respiratory arrest
Respiratory, Laryngeal edema, Bronchospasm, Pulmonary edema/acute respiratory distress syndrome, Hypoxia and acidosis from intercostal muscle spasm and pain, Respiratory failure and arrest, Neurologic, Autonomic dysfunction from alteration of sodium and calcium ion transport, Spastic paralysis, Headache, agitation, and neuropsychiatric disturbances, Ataxia, Cerebral edema, Seizures, Stupor or coma, Gastrointestinal, Nausea and vomiting, Abdominal muscle rigidity and pain, Hypersalivation and dysphagiak, Hepatic inflammatory necrosis from direct toxin injury to hepatocytes, Renal failure from toxin-induced glomerulonephritis or RBC hemolysis, Musculoskeletal, Incapacitating muscle spasm of limb and torso, Reactive arthritis, Rhabdomyolysis, Hematologic/immunologic, Hemolysis, Hypersensitive reaction (anaphylaxis is rare), Long-term or delayed reactions, Keloids, Pigmented striae, Lichenification from persistent rubbing, Granuloma, Ulceration and necrosis, Gangrene, Fat atrophy, Scarring and contractures, Recurrent reactions without repeated exposure occurring at the original sting site secondary to sequestered, intracutaneous, antigen-induced, immunologic reaction (may be more severe than original reaction)" copied from
[/FONT]
Jellyfish stings and remedies

Wow that is alot of good info! I had always wondered if heat would be a good thing to apply to the atings and now I can see that JH seems to say yes. Good good info!

This is some further info on jellyfish stings as well as some other marine dangers from Divers Alert Network (DAN):

Marine Life Trauma

By Paul S. Auerbach, M.D., M.S.

Sea Urchin Spine Punctures

Q: I was chasing a big marble ray underwater near Cocos Island - I wanted to photograph it - and wasn't paying attention to my buoyancy. I brushed by a rock wall and suddenly felt severe burning in my arm and elbow. There were 15 black sea urchin spines sticking out of my forearm. The spines had gone right through my diveskin. I remembered hearing that it helps to urinate on a sea urchin sting, so I tried it, but it didn't help. Most of the black spots on my arm have disappeared, but I still can see two, and my wrist is starting to swell. What should I do?

A: Some sea urchins are covered with sharp venom-filled spines that can easily penetrate and break off into the skin. Others (found in the South Pacific) may have small pincerlike appendages that grasp their victims and inoculate them with venom from a sac within each pincer. Sea urchin punctures or stings are painful wounds, most often of the hands or feet. If a person receives many wounds simultaneously, the reaction may be so severe as to cause extreme muscle spasm, difficulty in breathing, weakness and collapse.

The Treatment
  1. Immerse the wound in non-scalding hot water to tolerance (110 to 113 F / 43.3 to 45 C). This frequently provides pain relief. Other field remedies, such as application of vinegar or urine, are less likely to diminish the pain. If necessary, administer pain medication appropriate to control the pain.
  2. Carefully remove any readily visible spines. Do not dig around in the skin to try to fish them out - this risks crushing the spines and making them more difficult to remove. Do not intentionally crush the spines. Purple or black markings in the skin immediately after a sea urchin encounter do not necessarily indicate the presence of a retained spine fragment. The discoloration more likely is dye leached from the surface of a spine, commonly from a black urchin (Diadema species). The dye will be absorbed over 24 to 48 hours, and the discoloration will disappear. If there are still black markings after 48 to 72 hours, then a spine fragment is likely present.
  3. If the sting is caused by a species with pincer organs, use hot water immersion, then apply shaving cream or a soap paste and shave the area.
  4. Seek the care of a physician if spines are retained in the hand or foot, or near a joint. They may need to be removed surgically, to minimize infection, inflammation and damage to nerves or important blood vessels.
  5. If the wound shows any sign of infection (extreme redness, pus, swollen regional lymph glands) or if a spine has penetrated deeply into a joint, the injured person (particularly one with impairment of his or her immune system) should be started by a qualified health professional on an antibiotic, taking into consideration the possibility of a Vibrio infection (see #4 under "Coral Scrapes).
  6. If a spine puncture in the palm of the hand results in a persistent swollen finger(s) without any sign of infection (fever, redness, swollen lymph glands in the elbow or armpit), then it may become necessary to treat the injured person with a seven- to 14-day course of a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (e.g., ibuprofen) or, in a more severe case, oral prednisone, a corticosteroid medication.
Lionfish, Scorpionfish & Stonefish Envenomations

Q: Last week I got a saltwater aquarium with an anemone and a small lionfish. I saw the lionfish swimming through the anemone and thought it was going to hurt the anemone, so I reached in the tank and pushed the lionfish away. It nailed me on the fingers, and now they're all swollen and blistered. Is there anything I can do?
A: Lionfish (as well as scorpionfish and stonefish) possess dorsal, anal and pelvic spines that transport venom from venom glands into puncture wounds. Common reactions include redness or blanching, swelling and blistering (lionfish). The injuries can be extraordinarily painful and occasionally life-threatening (in the case of a stonefish).

The Treatment

Soaking the wound in non-scalding hot water to tolerance (110 to 113 F / 43.3 to 45 C)
  • may provide dramatic relief of pain from a lionfish sting,
  • is less likely to be effective for a scorpionfish sting, and
  • may have little or no effect on the pain from a stonefish sting, but it should be done nonetheless, because the heat may inactivate some of the harmful components of the venom.
If the injured person appears intoxicated or is weak, vomiting, short of breath or unconscious, seek immediate advanced medical care.

Wound care is standard, so, for the blistering wound, appropriate therapy would be a topical antiseptic (such as silver sulfadiazene [Silvadene] cream or bacitracin ointment) and daily dressing changes. A scorpionfish sting frequently requires weeks to months to heal, and therefore requires the attention of a physician. There is an antivenin available to physicians to help manage the sting of the dreaded stonefish.

Sea Bather's Eruption, Seaweed Dermatitis & Swimmers Itch

Q: I was swimming for exercise out in front of my hotel in Cozumel when my entire body started to tingle. I didn't see anything in the water, so I kept swimming. A few minutes later, I swam into a swarm of tiny pulsating brown blobs. They didn't have any tentacles that I could see. The stinging got pretty bad, especially underneath my bathing suit. I hosed off on the beach and jumped in the shower, and that seemed to help. Now I have an ugly red rash under my neck and where my bathing suit goes. I'm having trouble sleeping, and it seems like I'm tired all the time. What should I do?

Sea Bather's Eruption

Often misnamed "sea lice" (which are true crustacean parasites of fish, and which inflict miniscule bites), sea bather's eruption occurs in sea water and involves predominately bathing suit-covered areas of the skin, rather than exposed areas. The skin rash distribution is very similar to that from seaweed dermatitis, but no seaweed is found on the skin.
The cause is stings from the nematocysts (stinging cells) of the larval forms of certain anemones, such as Linuche unguiculata, and thimble jellyfishes. The injured person may notice a tingling sensation under the bathing suit (breasts, groin, cuffs of wetsuits) while still in the water, which is made much worse if he/she takes a freshwater rinse (shower) while still wearing the suit. The rash usually consists of red bumps, which may become dense and confluent (i.e., run together in a mass). Itching is severe and may become painful.

The Treatment

Treatment consists of immediate (for decontamination) application of vinegar or rubbing alcohol, followed by hydrocortisone lotion 1 percent twice a day. Topical calamine lotion with 1 percent menthol may be soothing.
If the reaction is severe, the injured person may suffer from headache, fever, chills, weakness, vomiting, itchy eyes and burning on urination, and should be treated with oral prednisone.
The stinging cells may remain in the bathing suit even after it dries, so once a person has sustained sea bather's eruption, the clothing should undergo machine washing or be thoroughly rinsed in alcohol or vinegar, then be washed by hand with soap and water.

Swimmer's Itch

Also called "clamdigger's itch," swimmer's itch is caused by skin contact with cercariae, which are the immature larval forms of parasitic schistosomes (flatworms) found throughout the world in both fresh and salt waters. Snails and birds are the intermediate hosts for the flatworms. They release hundreds of fork-tailed microscopic cercariae into the water.
The affliction is contracted when a film of cercariae-infested water dries on exposed (uncovered by clothing) skin. The cercariae penetrate the outer layer of the skin, where itching is noted within minutes. Shortly afterwards, the skin becomes reddened and swollen, with an intense rash and, occasionally, hives. Blisters may develop over the next 24 to 48 hours.
Untreated, the affliction is limited to 1 to 2 weeks. Persons who have suffered swimmer's itch previously may be more severely affected on repeated exposures, which suggests that an allergic response may be a factor.

The Treatment

Swimmer's itch can be prevented by briskly rubbing the skin with a towel immediately after leaving the water, to prevent the cercariae from having time to penetrate the skin. Once the reaction has occurred, the skin should be lightly rinsed with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and then coated with calamine lotion. If the reaction is severe, the injured person may be treated with oral prednisone.
Because the cercariae are present in greatest concentration in shallow, warmer water (where the snails are), swimmers should try to avoid these areas.

Jellyfish Stings

"Jellyfish" is the term commonly used to describe an enormous number of marine animals that are capable of inflicting a painful, and occasionally life-threatening, sting. These include fire coral, hydroids, jellyfishes (including "sea wasps") and anemones. The stings occur when the victim comes into contact with the creature's tentacles or other appendages, which may carry millions of small stinging cells, each equipped with venom and a microscopic stinger.
Depending on the species, size, geographic location, time of year and other natural factors, stings can range in severity from mild burning and skin redness to excruciating pain and severe blistering with generalized illness (nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath, muscle spasm and low blood pressure). Broken-off tentacles that are fragmented in the surf or washed up on the beach can retain their toxicity for months and should not be handled, even if they appear to be dried out and withered.
The dreaded box jellyfish (Chironex fleckeri) of northern Australia contains one of the most potent animal venoms known to man. A sting from one of these creatures can induce death in minutes from cessation of breathing, abnormal heart rhythms and profound low blood pressure (shock).

The Treatment

BE PREPARED TO TREAT AN ALLERGIC REACTION FOLLOWING A JELLYFISH STING. If possible, carry an allergy kit, including injectable epinephrine (adrenaline) and an oral antihistamine.

The following therapy is recommended for all unidentified jellyfish and other creatures with stinging cells:
  1. If the sting is believed to be from the box jellyfish (Chironex fleckeri), immediately flood the wound with vinegar (5 percent acetic acid). Keep the victim as still as possible. Continuously apply the vinegar until the victim can be brought to medical attention. If you are out at sea or on an isolated beach, allow the vinegar to soak the tentacles or stung skin for 10 minutes before attempting to remove adherent tentacles or to further treat the wound. In Australia, surf lifesavers (lifeguards) may carry antivenin, which is given as an intramuscular injection a first aid measure.
  2. For all other stings, if a topical decontaminant (e.g., vinegar, isopropyl [rubbing] alcohol, one-quarter-strength household ammonia or baking soda) is available, apply it liberally onto the skin.
    If it is a liquid, continuously soak a compress. (Be advised that some authorities advise against the use of alcohol because of scientific evaluations that have revealed that some nematocysts discharge because of this chemical's application.) Since not all jellyfish are identical, it is extremely helpful to know ahead of time what works for the stingers in your specific geographic location.
    Apply the decontaminant for 30 minutes or until pain is relieved. A paste made from unseasoned meat tenderizer (do not exceed 15 minutes' application time, particularly upon the sensitive skin of small children) or papaya fruit may be helpful. Do not apply any organic solvent, such as kerosene, turpentine or gasoline.
    Until the decontaminant is available, you may rinse the skin with sea water. Do not simply rinse the skin gently with fresh water or apply ice directly to the skin. A brisk freshwater stream (forceful shower) may have sufficient force to physically remove the microscopic stinging cells, but non-forceful application is more likely to cause the cells to fire, increasing the envenomation. A non-moist ice or cold pack may be useful to diminish pain, but take care to wipe away any surface moisture (condensation) prior to the application.
  3. After decontamination, apply a lather of shaving cream or soap and shave the affected area with a razor. In a pinch, you can use a paste of sand or mud in sea water and a clamshell.
  4. Reapply the primary decontaminant for 15 minutes.
  5. Apply a thin coating of hydrocortisone lotion (0.5 to 1 percent) twice a day. Anesthetic ointment (such as lidocaine hydrochloride 2.5 percent or a benzocaine-containing spray) may provide short-term pain relief.
  6. If the victim has a large area involved (entire arm or leg, face, or genitals), is very young or very old, or shows signs of generalized illness (nausea, vomiting, weakness, shortness of breath or chest pain), seek help from a doctor. If a person has placed tentacle fragments in his mouth, have him swish and spit whatever potable liquid is available. If there is already swelling in the mouth (muffled voice, difficulty swallowing, enlarged tongue and lips), do not give anything by mouth, protect the airway and rapidly transport the victim to a hospital.
Diving While On Medications for Stings

In general, it is safe to dive while taking an antibiotic or corticosteroid medication. If a wound infection is more than minor or is expanding, however, diving should be curtailed until it becomes minor, is no longer progressing and can be easily covered with a dressing.
In or out of the water, corticosteroid medication should always be taken with the understanding that a rare side effect is to cause serious deterioration of the head ("ball" of the ball-and-socket joint) of the femur, the long bone of the thigh.
Most injuries from animals result from chance encounters. Be an alert diver, and respect their personal space. If you're injured, follow the advice you find here, and call DAN.
Paul Auerbach, M.D., M.S., is a consultant on hazardous marine life to DAN, medical editor for Dive Training magazine, advisor to numerous medical, recreational and scientific organizations and recognized internationally as a leading expert on the clinical management of hazardous marine encounters.
From the Jan/Feb 1998 issue of Alert Diver

If only there was a class people could take to learn all this stuff. :wink: (DAN's First Aid for Hazardous Marine Life) That was very informative, and I think I'll start carrying a shave kit on the boat in addition to vinegar and hot water already onboard after reading it.

Who knows maybe even make sure all the boat and instructors have also taken a the Hazardous Marine Life class too. Mayve even get a few of us trained to teach them as they seem to consistently demonstrate their utility beyond just the O2 class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom