Sea Lice??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott101

Contributor
Reaction score
I returned from Cozumel a week and a half ago and apparently got stung by sea lice (Thimble Jelly's larvae). I didn't really notice a problem other than some itching on my upper chest until earlier this week (10 day post exposure).

After shaving, I broke out with a very painful rash along the jawline. I have had a couple of other minor bumps appear subQ on my neck and behind my ear. Now my lymph nodes under my jaw and in the pocket of the clavical are swollen.

Does this sound like post-sea lice exposure? I know that the nematocysts fire upon contact with fresh water. Could shaving expose some residual ones?

Thought I would ask here before I go to the doctor and they look at me like a nut when I explain what I think happened.

I moved this to the Diving Medicine forum so the best people are more likely to see it.

the only reason to go to a doctor is if you suspect you are having an allergic reaction to the sea lice. if the symptoms are minor, i would self-treat with a hydrocortisone cream or Benadryl (or both).

if thigns get worse or don't go away after three or four days, i'd go see a doctor anyways.

(i'm not a doctor, etc.)

H2Andy:
the only reason to go to a doctor is if you suspect you are having an allergic reaction to the sea lice. if the symptoms are minor, i would self-treat with a hydrocortisone cream or Benadryl (or both).

if thigns get worse or don't go away after three or four days, i'd go see a doctor anyways.

(i'm not a doctor, etc.)

Wouldn't the lymph node involvement suggest some sort of infection (possibly unrelated to the lice). Sure would be concern for me.

good eye. i missed that...

since my response above was based entirely on the sea lice rash, i don't know what
to say...

definetely err on the side of caution

Thanks for moving it to the proper place.

The Lymphatic response was reported in some other cases described on different web sites but that it the part that started me thinking in the first place.

I have been using hydrocortizone cream and it seems to help. My biggest problem now is that I am afraid to shave incase that is what it is. Starting to look all Grizzly Adamsish.

I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and go to the Dr.

Scott101:
Starting to look all Grizzly Adamsish.

QUOTE]

You got something against Grizz?

I had done a lot more dives than shaves. :D

oh man I hate those things, I got covered in them the day before my wedding (great for the pictures) I think they just effect everyone differently as there were some divers without a single mark on them (my husband included). Me on the other hand had a terrible allergic reaction to them and landed me in the ER after 2 days. I had them in my mouth, on my feet (I was wearing 7mm boots too) and all over my face and neck. The doctor said that the venom (I think that was the word he used) went through my system and thats why places that weren't exposed looked as if they had been. Everything turned out ok(great way to spen a honeymoon) and all I needed was time to heal, some antihistamines (gloves to keep me from scratching...lol) and I did alot of soaks with Avenno. I did find out that being allergic to bee/wasp made me more likely to have this type of reaction to sea lice and now must carry around an EpiPen when I dive just incase. Even as bad as I had them, my lymph nodes never swelled up. I hope everything turns out ok, feel better soon..

Geez Baitedstorm, good, the marriage survived that auspicious beginning.

Yes, Scott, that is a typical sea lice exposure. It puffs up a week or so after the event. I had it bad a couple of times. Just put hydrocortisone. Good to shave too.

Back
Top Bottom