Sea Monster in West Vancouver!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sintax604

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It sounds crazy, I know, but consider this:

In 260 dives, I've only ever seen 1 or 2 dead fish on the bottom, never anything big.
On Thursday evening near Caulfield Cove we came across a largish GPO (about 3' long tenticles) lying dead in the sand. It was completely intact except for a hole in the side of its head. Today at Whytecliff there was a fully intact seal pup, minus the head.

So the question, friends, is "what is smarter than an octopus, faster than a seal and kills for fun rather than for food since both were more or less whole!?" Both were found in about 30' of water far enough from shore to not be tossed there by shore fishermen/hunting jerks and in areas that would not be accessed by boats to be dumped overboard.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• P1050760.jpg
    P1050760.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 389
Ninjas!! definitely ninjas.

Orcas have been known to kill for fun.

Sadly, people kill for fun too. I doubt both were killed by the same animal. The MO is different. I've see intact sea lions with missing heads before. My guess is orcas, or some othe large predator (sharks?) killed the seal/sealions. Maybe a speargun killed the octo? Maybe the hole happened after death?

“Contrary to what most people say, the most dangerous animal in the world is not the lion or the tiger or even the elephant. It's a shark riding on an elephant's back, just trampling and eating everything they see.” - Jack Handy

Not sure what time of year octos reproduce in, but as I understand it the mother basically kills herself taking care of the eggs. Doesn't eat etc, to weak to survive after they hatch.

Possibly it's just that time of year on the octo?

you're correct akira.

The seal pup minus the head could be a six gill, but more accurately a greenland shark, the sharks on greenland's are designed for tearing.
Watching a discovery channel and a lot of reports where greenland sharks live they see seals with their heads torn right off, and always #1 culprit is the greenland shark.

Back
Top Bottom