Sea of Cortez: La Paz or Cabo San Lucas? Or...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoeinLA

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I would like to take a diving vacation and have decided on the Sea of Cortez.

From what I've read, the two more popular destinations are La Paz or Sea of Cortez, with La Paz being "less touristy".

If you want the best place for diving, which one would you pick? Or are they about the same?

We've been to Cozumel and Bonaire a few times, so those are our points of comparison...

Thanks in advance!

La Paz (including the islands of course) and Cabo Pulmo !

The Gulf of California (aka Sea of Cortez) is very, very different to the Caribbean.

I found the diving to be more interesting in the islands off of La Paz, but many of the more skittish fish there were easier to approach in Cabo (to film) and there were more subtropical species. I used to work in the Sea of Cortez during the winter months.

The sea of Cortez has 800 species of tropical Fish thus great Diving.
I like Diving out of Cabo San Lucas. The Boat ride is short 10 min.s To great Diving.
you can see the Sand Falls, Neptunes Finger,Lands End,No, So. and middle walls.
These Trips Start at 9.00am And are Back by 1.00pm. so you still have half a Day left for outher activites.
You can take a Drive to Todo Santos in about 1 hour. Nice small town with an artists colony or San Jose in about 30 min.s.
I Dive with Baja Dive Nice 40 foot Boat with lots of shade all safty gear and the best Dive Masters.
Home

Of course you can also dive Cabo Pulmo, the northernmost coral reefs on our side of the continent, if you are based out of Cabo. However, I don't consider Cabo much of a Mexican city... whereas La Paz is.

La Paz diving was great, with late summer and fall supposedly being the best time to dive (we went in September). We went for the purpose of doing something different from the Caribbean, and it fit the bill nicely. The boat rides are long, though, at 1.5 hours or more to the dive sites.

The town of La Paz was nice, too, with great food and nice people. It's not touristy and we felt comfortable walking around town.

If you decide on Cabo Pulmo there are a few smaller hotels in the area. The vis in the Sea of Cortez any time of the year will probably be less than what you are used to. But it is a great place. Lots of maring life, no crowds, and friendly people. If you are looking for nightlife, big hotels, restaurants, and clubs go to Cabo. If you really want to get the feel of the Baja fly into Cabo and head north.

We recently dove Cabo Pulmo (7/8/09) and had a great experience. Visibility was disappointing, but not surprising. Here are some photos I took there...this was the first time I've ever taken underwater photos, visibility was actually much better than the pictures show.

Attachments

• PICT0231.jpg
    PICT0231.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 53
  • PICT0218.jpg
    PICT0218.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 57
  • PICT0251.jpg
    PICT0251.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 50
  • PICT0235.jpg
    PICT0235.jpg