Sea & Sea fiber optic cable modification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeeCat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have Sea & Sea fiber optic cable with 2 L-connectors. The cable picture is below. I need cable with just one L-connector on one side and "open end" on the other (for Sea & Sea strobe to Hugyfot housing).

50107_2.jpg

Can I just cut one L-connector? What tools can be used (scalpel, side-cutter, scissors, cutting disk (diamond?))? What additional operation will/can be required - polishing, ...? Anything else to apply attention to?

Any help will be much appreciated.

matey - i would not wreck your expensive sea&sea cable if i were you....

you could get a cheap toslink cable and modify that to suit your purposes -
they pretty much jam in tightly to to the sea&sea socket

Thanks to sharkbite and johnohuk
sharkbite - what is the procedure to cut Toslink cable. Please provide more details.

thats the beauty - no need to cut -

if the square bit does not fit tightly into the sea&sea socket.... put an appropriately sized o-ring on it so it jams in tightly..

for the other end:
with my twin strobe setup - i found some cheap toslink sockets and used a cable tie and gaffer tape to hold them to the housing.

works like a beauty and is totally non-destructive and reversible...

if you really must cut it......a very sharp knife and a lot of caution.....

@LeeCat, the fiber optic cutters that are generally used in the industry are just like wire cutters, only at a 45o angle. Now you can’t really use a wire cutter for this because if you do so you’ll have to be amazingly precise. For example, you’ll have to cut the two wires at exactly the same angle of they won’t match. What an angled wire cutter does is, it cuts all wires at the same angle so that they can easily get connected and work instantly. However, having said that, cutting and merging two fiber-optics like that is not generally advisable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom