Sea & Sea FO cable question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amajamar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How you do you adapt a standard Sea & Sea cable to an aftermarket housing?

I have an Canon A620 camera and Canon housing. I'm thinking of a YS-27DX strobe but it comes with the standard cable that plugs into the top of the Sea & Sea housing. Do I need a different cable to somehow "attach" to my housing?

Also, what about the Sea & Sea strobe masking accessory for the A620? Do I need it?

Thanks in advance!!

Nope, no special connection.

The Sea and Sea fiber optic cable includes a Velcro kit that adheres to your housing. It has a connection for the fiber optic cable in the Velcro. The Velcro kit serves two purposes: 1: to attach the fiber optic cable to hour housing, and 2: to block the camera's internal strobe. I used this on my Canon S70 with a YS-25 auto for two years with no problems. Upgraded to the YS-110 this year, and still no problems.

How you do you adapt a standard Sea & Sea cable to an aftermarket housing?

I have an Canon A620 camera and Canon housing. I'm thinking of a YS-27DX strobe but it comes with the standard cable that plugs into the top of the Sea & Sea housing. Do I need a different cable to somehow "attach" to my housing?

Also, what about the Sea & Sea strobe masking accessory for the A620? Do I need it?

Thanks in advance!!
Did you end up getting the YS-27DX? I am thinking along the same line myself, with another canon UW housing. I see that the new FO cables do not seem to have the velcro part (at least not in the on-line pix)
Thanks

Did you end up getting the YS-27DX? I am thinking along the same line myself, with another canon UW housing. I see that the new FO cables do not seem to have the velcro part (at least not in the on-line pix)
Thanks

I ordered it last week. I should have it around Wednesday. My feeling is that I am going to have to order the velcro part, as I don't think it is included with the strobe.

BTW, seems like we are practically neighbors!

I ordered a YS-27DX on Friday myself from eBay (Hong Kong). Holding my breath waiting for it to arrive. It has a FO cable included but not the Sea&Sea one. It is SUPPOSED to work fine.
We are in Littleton. MA .. not too far from you. I can see from your avitar that you probably won't be diving at 4 today :)

I ordered a YS-27DX on Friday myself from eBay (Hong Kong). I can see from your avitar that you probably won't be diving at 4 today :)

What tipped you off?!! :wink:

I have been watching them on eBay, as well. I was a little apprehensive about ordering from them though. I had concerns about the warranty.

I'll let you know what I end up with when it arrives.

BTW, Your website and pictures there are great! What have you been shooting with?

Thanks.
Underwater, I have been using a Canon S1-IS (3 Megapixel) with a Canon UW case and a SeaLife SL960D strobe. I was unhappy with the sharpness of that setup. On land I used the S1-IS until I got a S2-IS to replace it. Nothing like 12X Optical zoom for trying to capture nature in the jungle or trees. Try taking a close-up of a grizzly with less :)
Recently I bought a Canon SD700IS from someone here on SB and I tried it out on Bonaire a couple of weeks ago. The camera was great, but my strobe acted up. I think the FO cable got unaligned in the strobe head. Anyway, it was a week of just using the built-in flash. Those recent pix from Bonaire are all no external strobe.
I may make the transition to DSLR eventually, but for now, I still am working on composition and the basics of UW photography.

Very nice work, Frank!

I am VERY new to diving and even newer to UW photography. The housing I bought for the A620 didn't come with the flash diffuser, subsequently flash photograph was impossible due to the shadow of the housing. (Almost a quarter of the frame was shadowed)

I figured that the diffuser would not make that big of a difference, so I went ahead and ordered the YS-27. I ordered the housing diffuser at the same time, mainly because I'm the kind of person who can't stand to be missing original parts of my toys...:dork2: !!

Anyway, the housing diffuser arrived on Friday. So, I took some test shots around the house with and without it...!

I came to the conclusion that the diffuser is ESSENTIAL to using the onboard flash! :shakehead:

That leads me to ask you, seeing that you have more experience both with an external strobe and without, did I jump the gun ordering the YS? I can see that the diffuser will make a HUGE difference using flash in macro shots. In your opinion, is the external strobe such an improvement that I won't regret the expenditure??

I'd like to hear your opinion on that!!

BTW, do you do any local diving and where? Also, how the heck did you get in the BIG tank. My GF and I would love to do that!! :)

BTW, do you do any local diving and where? Also, how the heck did you get in the BIG tank. My GF and I would love to do that!! :)

Both of my Canon UW housings also came without the flash diffuser.. Did you order yours from Canon? I have a PM into the the person who sold me the case to see if he has it. I have been able to work around the shadow .. most of the time.
The strobe will make a big difference though!
For one thing you can offset it from the lens so that you get much less backscatter.. something to think about around here.
Also, you can control the flash more. If is is too much light.. back off on the setting.. if not enough crank it up.
One important thing for low light conditions is a focussing light. I got one recently and it has helped out. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/477355-REG/Fantasea_Line_6022_LED_Nano_Focus_Light.html

I don't dive around here much.. my wife/ buddy doesn't like the heavy weight situation with local DS diving. She said I need to find a new buddy to dive local.

Here is an example of with and without. Both are about 18"-24" from subject. The clock is about 11" in diameter.

Dif1.jpg

Dif2.jpg

Dif3.jpg

Dif4.jpg

I got my housing used and ordered the diffuser separately from Canon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom