Sea & Sea strobes with Nikon in an Ikelite housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Magnus.s

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
I've been using Olympus cameras underwater and Nikon on land for the last few year. It's staring to be time to upgrade my underwater kit and I've been thinking of going all Nikon

I have two Sea & Sea YS-110 and I would like to keep those for now. Does anyone have experience of using a Nikon (D700) in an Ikelite housing together with Sea & Sea strobes?

Even though I will set the strobes manual most of the times, I would not want lose out on using TTL at some occasions, does this mean that I would have to go with a Sea & Sea housing?

Thanks,
// Magnus;

Last edited:
The S&S 110 and 110a are not compatible with the Nikons using a regular nikonos bulkhead and sync cord, or convert cord (I think Ike makes them) which is what you'd need to do with the Ike. There is a weird pin issue where the 110 is looking for TTL and just locks up immediately. I was told that you can shield the pin with some tape on the hotshoe of the camera as a work-around, which pin I forget.

The other route is to use a S&S TTL converter, which should work after you switch the bulkhead to nikonos on the Ike housing. That should offer TTL as well.

S&S is coming out with a new NX housing for the D700 in April, it should be sweet.

Jack

I use the Nikon D80 in an Ikelite housing with 2 Sea & Sea YS-110 strobes. You can only use the strobes manually; no TTL is available. This is fine for me for both WA and macro shooting. You need to get the sync cord from Ikelite: they have non-TTL ones available that work with Sea & Sea strobes.

Your other option is to sell your strobes and get Ikelite strobes, then you can shoot either TTL or manual, with no converter necessary.

Back
Top Bottom