sea snail dip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustAddWater

Reaction score
I have really enjoyed a few of the sea food recipe threads that have been posted recently. The last few times that I have been to Baja Mexico, I have had a dip made of sea snail. That Spanish name escapes me right now (something like curacal, or curaco, or....) It was delicious with tortilla chips. Have any of you heard about it, or have a recipe for it? Hungering minds want to know!
JAW

I don't have a recipe for it but have eaten curacal many times, not as a dip but out of the shell cooked, very tasty.:wink:

It was served as a cream dip, but also as a salsa with tomato and onion. It sure was tasty. Do you know if they are the same snail sea snail or kelp snail that we see on the California coast?

Not too sure about what kind of snails they have down there; I usually just get a box of frozen conch at the fish house.
I don't see why the periwinkels, etc. wouldn't work.

1 bunch green onions, with a little of the tops left on.

2 limes

4 plumb tomatoes

2-3 sprigs of cilantro

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup critters

clean the critters, add salt & squeeze the limes on them. Let marinate at least 2 hours.
chop the rest of the stuff & mix in.

Cheater's Style:
do the critters as above, add a pint of good fresh salsa cruda to it.

good with all manner of marine life.:D

Sounds good. Add a margarita and we have a nice picture. By chance have any of you seen the Keith Famie (sp?) Adventure show on the Food Network? Keith is the cook/diver who was on Survivor. His present show mixes travel, diving, and cooking. Good idea. I'm always looking for a way to upgrade my Saturday afternoon BBQs

with the yummy recipes posted here we need to get an official scuba board cook book:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom