sea urchins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustAddWater

Reaction score
I know that there are a variety of species of sea urchins, and have been "introduced" to a few of them on dives in California and the South Pacific. The consequences have been pretty minor; initially a needle-like pain, then just tenderness. I haven't needed any treatment other than removing the spines. Are there some species that afflict more serious reations? If so, where are they located? Any truth to some of the home treatments (urine), or are they wives tales?
Thanks,
JAW

I think one of the main problems with urchins is the spine breaking off and NOT being extracted, leading to typically nasty infections (see a few in surfers' feet).

I've had a few run ins with the black urchin common in south Florida and the Bahamas. There was one time off the Marquesas (between Key West and Tortugas) when I got ripped pretty good. I pulled out a bug and got 20-30 urchin spines broken off under the skin of the left arm. As always, it looked like little black splinters under the skin, and there was some bleeding and stinging. The pain stopped in a few minutes. After a week or two the spots disappeared (absorbed) and took on the appearance of small mosquito bites. Then, everything returned to normal. I never heard of anyone extracting the spines or getting an infection. Is that what people do nowadays? How do they get the spines out?

The spines are calcium based and your body will slowly absorb them. Kinda makes you one with the urchin then. :)

The urine thing does aleviate pain because of the ammonia in it. DAN doesn't recommend it though cuz of bacteria I think, but if I'm in pain and you gotta pee, you may be my new best friend!

Hi JustAddWater,

Puncture by sea urchin spines can be nasty business. Often very painful & long-lasting, and infection is common. Punctures near a joint are especially worrisome.

First step in treatment is not urine or vinegar, but rather immersion in hot water (hot as can be tolerated without burning the skin) for an hour or more. This coagulates the venom, which is largely protein, and greatly reduces pain. This can be repeated if the pain recurs.

Next, remove any spine fragments. Tweezers can be used to snare protruding ends. The, carefully shave the area with a razor, which removes the stinging barbs. Sometimes surgical removal of deep fragments is required.

Scrub the area very thoroughly with soap & water, and copiously flush with fresh water.

Finally, apply a topical antibiotic ointment, but don't cover the wound.

If an infection develops, see a physician immediately.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Boy o boy... urchines... TONS of them around here. I dive Laguna beach and they are just everywhere.

DocVikingo seems to be on the money from my experiences. I've seen some pretty nasty infections, and some even nastier extractions (digging that sucker out) and have never heard of leaving a spine in.

I've heard of the urine thing before as well, but there isn't any way you'd catch me trying it out.

Hi Wheezy,

That's just as well, as there is no compelling evidence that it is effective. There is such evidence for immersion in hot water.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

The urine treatment of urchin injuries has no basis in fact and probably got started with the analogy to the use of vinegar - which is said to 'dissolve' the spines. Vinegar is acidic, most urine is acidic and therefore the analogy. (It does take your mind off the pain of the injury and offers something to talk about with the other divers - but is useless as a method of therapy. (Vinegar soaks are espoused in the Merck Manual.)

There are about as many treatments for sea urchin puncture wounds as there are species of sea urchins (600--800 are thought to be venomous to humans). The long-spined black sea urchin is usually the culprit, as the spines break off in the dermis, leaving a painful black spot. The black spot is only black pigment, the proteinaceous spine is the part that needs removal. (vertically).
Soaking in hot water (115 degrees F.) for 60-90 minutes is said to offer relief from the pain and swelling (Paul Cianci). Others espouse magnesium sulfate pastes (Carl Edmonds). Snake bite suction cups are used by some to remove the spines while others go ahead and excise the area conservatively under local anesthesia.

There is a recent report of the use of a bolus of local anesthetic to extrude the spine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom