Sea Vision prescription mask with magnifiers, leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ID diver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have been wearing prescription masks for 15+ years of diving. I have always used the .5 diopter increment lenses in a two lens mask. Recently I have had to add magnifiers to my mask. I tried the stick in magnifiers but they constantly fogged. I decided to have Sea Vision make me a mask with magnifiers as part of the lenses. I got my first mask from Sea Vision. I think I used it on one or two scuba dives and realized the mask was leaking air/water through the seal around the lenses not the mask skirt. Underwater I could inhale through my nose and watch the water flow into the mask through the lens seal (I used a mirror). I sent the mask back to Sea Vision and they fixed the mask. I can't remember if they replaced it. When I got the mask back from Sea Vision I took it in the pool and snorkeled with it, no scuba. At first the mask seemed fine no leaks. After playing around in the pool for 20-30 minutes I noticed leaks again in the seals around the lenses.

Has anyone ever experienced this problem with a mask specifically the Sea Vision masks with magnifiers in the lenses? I plan to call Sea Vision and talk to them but wanted to know if I am the only one experiencing this problem.

Recently I had an experience where I noticed cracks in the mask frame on both mine and my wife's Seavision masks (which has caused me to change my method of cleaning them, but that's another story). Hers was worse than mine, but we tried it in shallow water and with her both inhaling and exhaling through her nose with the mask on, we had no leaks at all. It survived three days of two tank dives, with a maximum depth of about 80' with no leakage whatsoever. I find it surprising that you are having the type of issue you describe, on a brand new mask (although not questioning that it is happening).

We have found the Seavision mask to be very durable and Seavision's customer service to be of the highest standards possible. They replaced both of our frames for $25 (total, not each), and had them back to us promptly. Only other issue we ever had was a warped skirt on my wife's (which I think I also influenced due to how I had them stored).

Good Luck with you issue, I hope they treat you as well as they have treated us.

Back
Top Bottom