Seafood harvesting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

invasion_1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will soon be out in BC and lots of diving is on my list. I wanted to ask if you can catch your own seafood in BC ? Are there certain areas that I may collect mussles or crab etc ? Is a license necessary ? Just be a fun adventure to catch your own dinner.
Sorry, its a big thrill for someone who lives no where NEAR the ocean ! :)

Hi! Where will you be diving? You do need a license, I think it's about $25 and good for a year. Where and when and what you can harvest varies, so ask at the local dive shops in the area, or at fish and game shops. It's not always the fastest and most reliable way to get food, but it can be fun. Our gang did a huge crab dive for solstice last year. 6 divers, 20 folks or more altogether. Beach fire, BBQs, fizzy pops of some sort. It was great. Did I mention we scrounged just one measly-sized legal crab?

Hi! Where will you be diving? You do need a license, I think it's about $25 and good for a year. Where and when and what you can harvest varies, so ask at the local dive shops in the area, or at fish and game shops. It's not always the fastest and most reliable way to get food, but it can be fun. Our gang did a huge crab dive for solstice last year. 6 divers, 20 folks or more altogether. Beach fire, BBQs, fizzy pops of some sort. It was great. Did I mention we scrounged just one measly-sized legal crab?

You need to ask us free divers where all the crab is :D. Everytime i go out i see at lest 4 or 5 that are big enough to eat. some spots have many more!!!

I thought the easiest way to get crabs was a rented wetsuit?

i say we take the free diver out and lend him a full drysuit weightbelt, and as soon as he decides to circle every grub site on a laminated map... then we give him an oct and a BCD ride back to the surface :D

Back
Top Bottom