Seahorses... a common sighting in Hawaii..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw one in Kaneohe Bay when I was doing an alien algae clean up at Heeia Kea Park. It was low (I mean low) tide. The seashore was in some algae, it was on its side which was barely enough water to stay submerge. Don't cry yet because I nurse it back to health.

Sea horses live in calm, shallow, murky areas
Mebbe in the Pacific, never seen one here or heard of one, FWIW.

Not to promote the Caribbean (which I think is overrated) but the only seahorses seen in my one trip to Little Cayman were at 60-80', clear water. They force you to spend the second dive shallow, and no seahorse were ever seen there. They make a big deal of it, so you would think ones shallower would be pointed out................

My wife took her very first dive ever (intro dive, she was my girlfriend then) with me at Ulua Kihe in Maui a few years ago, we found an extremely tiny seahorse @ 14' depth (3/8" long) hanging on to the dive rope tie down. It was the only sea horse I have ever seen in the Hawaiians.
I would say we were lucky!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom