Seal at Shaw's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xSandman3

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I don't know if this was posted or not already, but I thought I'd share. This was at Shaw's a couple of weeks ago/ The diver is an advanced student of mine, with her husband taking the video. They said this seal played with them the entire dive.

YouTube - Harbor Seal at Laguna Beach

That was pretty cool, i had seen that seal (or one like it) being released from animal rescue a few months ago.
thanks for sharing!

Wow that would be something nice to experience. Congratz :crafty:

I'm glad someone captured this. Shaws is a great dive spot in Laguna Beach. (A buddy and I dove there yesterday afternoon before the rains came.) Shaws is one cove south from Seal Rock. It's a large rock where seals and sea lions take refuge about 125yds offshore from North Crescent Bay. Here's a link to a picture.

The seal(s) are know to occasionally follow divers. I was lucky enough to have one follow me last April while I was doing a night dive for my AOW certification. The seal used my dive light to forrage for food. When it found a snack, it would take off. The first time it came back, the seal came up behind me and bumped me in the back of my knee. It was the most frightened I'd ever been, underwater. It kept bumping me until I moved my dive light off the reef surface and back into the nooks and crannies. It stayed with us all the way out and all the way back bumping me whenever it didn't like where I was pointing my light... Well, it seemed like that was why it kept bumping me.

Gotta love diving in Laguna Beach.:D

I dove shaws a couple months ago on a night dive, and either this seal or one identical in looks played with us as well for much of the dive. Chased our light beams and darted in and out of us while we dove. Very friendly it even rolled over onto its back for a lil belly scratch. One of the guys I was with said he was there the week before and again played with them for the entire dive. Was a good dive btw, saw a loggerhead sleeping on the floor as well.

We were in the Scuba.com showroom last Saturday when this guy and his wife came in. He mentioned that they were at Shaw's cove and got a video of his wife with a seal. He had the video on his PDA and showed it to me. Since I was in the middle of checking out I only half saw it and just saw the last of it. The guy at the store said that there was one that hung out as Shaw's a lot.

What an experience that must have been!

-Mark-

That video was awesome, thanks for sharing. Gotta get back to Shaw's. I love diving there, but my wife hates the steps.

Dont we all hate the steps?!

I was at Treasure Island this morning and we had a seal, not sure it's the same one, find us 5 minutes into the dive and hang out with, play with, and tug at us almost the entire dive (45mins). He/she litterally almost followed us out of the water. Didn't leave until the water was only 4ft deep and we were standing!

Back
Top Bottom