Seal Kills British Researcher in Antarctica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

on a boat in Hawaii taking a bite out of a diver's fin. They are wild animals and while cute, need to be treated with respect.

In this case, I doubt she was doing anything wrong -- just at the wrong place at the wrong time....heck, the seal may have been playing for all we know.

So Sad and So young.

Otter

Very sad to read.

I looked Leopard Seals up in a marine mammal reference book I have - they are the top predator in the Antarctic after Killer Whales. Males grow to 990lb, and females to a monstrous 1300lb (California Sea Lion bulls top out at 860lb). According to the reference they have been known to stalk humans before, and regularly kill eand eat the juveniles of other pinniped species.

Unfortunately she was quite possibly just viewed as another item of prey. Very surprising to hear of though, and it does not lessen the tragedy.

Real sensitive first post you've chosen to make there.

Not sure why the scientists in the articles claim to have never heard of something like this before - the Audubon Society reference book I have mentions they're known to stalk humans. Maybe there's just never been a death before.

I was stationed in Antarctica from 87 to 92, both with the Navy, and the National Science Foundation, in that time we had one incident. One of the research assistants was taking samples when a leopard seal lunged out of the water and grabbed her. Startled, it flopped back into the water. She screamed, and fell back. She was bruised around the knee, and shook up, but all right. It should be noted that she was wearing white bunny boots, (a vapor barrier extreme cold weather boot), and black wind pants. The theory is that it mistook her, crouching, viewed through the ice, as a penguin.

Other than this one time, they generally ignored us. I got to dive twice while I was there, saw one once, it never gave us a second glance.

The motto is accurate; 'It's a harsh continent.'

The cover on this month's Sport Diver Magazine (Official Publication of the PADI Diving Society) features a Leopard Seal with jaws agape and a very nasty set of teeth.

Inside the issue: "Antarctica: The Holy Grail of Cold-Water Diving".

~SubMariner~

Back
Top Bottom