SeaLife Dc1000 or Sea & Sea 1200HD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrankPro1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been looking around for my next camera and have settled between these two. I know that the Sea & Sea has a slightly higher MP but it lacks all the water mode filters that the SeaLife has. The SeaLife's accessories are much cheaper but the Sea & Sea takes video at 1280×720 "v.s. the SeaLife's 640x480". Being Able to shoot video in 720p HD video is a big plus, something that might push me into choosing the Sea&Sea. But what about still photography? It seems the SeaLife has a slightly better optical zoom and has the ability to change lenses under water. Also the Sea&Sea has a wide shutter response time "at best its quicker then the Sealife, but a worst its slower (2seconds)". The SeaLife has a 5v, 1250 mAh battery while the Sea & Sea only has a 3.7v, 750 mAh battery. I've had problems with battery life in the past and don't want to relive it on my next camera buy. I'm not a photography guru and don't know a lot of the technical garble listed on their websites. Any help on figuring out which is a superior camera would be much appreciated.

Sea & Sea USA - Underwater Photography Cameras & Video

SeaLife Cameras - Underwater Cameras | Digital Camera Technical Specifications

Last edited:
I am thinking about upgrading my dc800

I am thinking about upgrading my dc800

I was planning on buying a Dc800, but then the Dc1000 was unveiled. That got me looking for other cameras and I was then led to the Dx-1200hd. Its the same price as Dc1000, so its kind of a hard decision. They both have their strong points and advantages. I just don't have the tech knowledge to know which is a better buy.

Also I've been looking on a lot of sites and the Dx-1G is listed as 800 bucks. Again I'm don't know much about cameras, but it seems strange to me that their both Sea&Sea and yet the one with less MP and less quality video is more money. From what I gather the Dx-1G has the capability of wet lenses and closer macro shooting.. but not much more...:confused:

FrankPro1 - I am going through the same decision making process as I would like to hear any feedback. Although, the DC1000 is not out until April is my understanding.

As you noted, the Sea and Sea accessories seem to be quite a bit more pricey.

FrankPro1 - I am going through the same decision making process as I would like to hear any feedback. Although, the DC1000 is not out until April is my understanding.

As you noted, the Sea and Sea accessories seem to be quite a bit more pricey.

I contacted SeaLife and they told me they will be shipping the Dc1000's on the first week of March.. Expected delivery to dealers would be by the third week of March.

Greetings To All,

I too will be purchasing one of these two cameras & am also still undecided. I will be attending the Beneath The Sea Conference in New Jersey the last weekend of March and both of these vendors will be in attendance. I plan on asking both vendor/manufacturers a lot of questions as well as seriously giving both cameras a true hands on look...at least one in a Convention Hall. I'll report back after returning!

From what I read they are quite different cameras. I never take video with my DX-1G, I only take still shots. My feeling is that if I want to take underwater video, then buy a video camera that will get you much better pictures for a longer period of time. The DX-1G is a more flexible camera in that it allows you to take shots manually while the 1200 is more of a point and shoot camera. Personally, more pixals does not equate into better pictures. I like the DX-1G because of the flexibility it gives you in taking pictures. personnally, I don't subscribe to the view that more pixels are better. The current number of pixels offered in all digital cameras is sufficient to give you a good print. I also think that the quality of the pictures is more dependent on the person taking the picture than on the camera itself. I would also consider waiting until the DX-2G comes out, not because it is a 12 megapixel camera but because of other enhancements such as a larger lcd screen, a brighter lcd screen, the enhanced ability to take pics in raw mode, etc.
And from the Sea&Sea site;
The optional Close-UP Lens 125 or Wide-Angle Conversion Lens for DX-860G can be attached/ detached even underwater (Close-UP Lens 125 requires the optional Close-UP Lens Ring for DX-1200HD). Using the wide-angle conversion lens, you can get a wider area in the picture even if you get close to the subject. Using the Close-UP Lens 125, you can take pictures with a larger magnification.

Looks like the Sea&Sea 1200HD is an ERGO DS 1200HD from the Ukraine repackaged with some new modes. Check it out: http://ergo.uk.com/shop/1013/575333.html

Is a sensor size of 1/1.72" good? bad? average?

The SeaLife on the other hand is the Minox DC-1033 made in Germany. Link to their site: http://www.minox.com/index.php?id=2278&L=1

The sensor size of the Minox is 1/2.3“....is this a big deal between the two?

Last edited:
Sensor size in and of itself means little. There are better and worse sensors in use throughout the digital camera industry. Better sensors generally take better pictures but a manufacturer may try and yeild a higher pixel count and push the sensor too far. In that case even a better sensor will have unimpressive results.
Comparing the specifications of each camera will show some clues to the performance that may be expected.
From what I see listed I'd expect the Ergo to outperform the Minox even with the larger sensor and lower pixel count on the Minox. I say this because the Ergo can be set to the lower resolution of the Minox and the Ergo's lens is rated for better light sensitivity. Also the Ergo has the ability to be set to a higher ISO although at higher settings all digital camera tend to be noisier.
Also the Ergo has the larger screen which should make it a bit easier to compose a shot.
Personally I feel that each of these packages are overprice simply because they are offered as dive camera that can be used topside.
I have found with a little research you can find a number of point and shoot cameras and housings that are capable of equal or better still photography at better prices than the Sea&Sea or Sealife offerings. The money saved can then be used for extras such as strobes, filters, arms or accessory lenses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom