SeaLife DC1400 Sea Dragon Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L8NLIFE

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking at the DC1400. Know little about underwater photography. From my basic knowledge, it looks like a pretty good starter set. Pro's/ Con's?????????????

We've got one. Biggest thing I've had to get a handle on is distance from subject and strobe setting. Usuallly, for me, this is primarily an issue where the subject is on a sand bottom/background. Flash can easily bleach out the subject if you aren't careful.

Other than that, we love the camera. It is easy to use (programming is very intuitive. Also a great surface camera for all-around vacation use.

We've got one. Biggest thing I've had to get a handle on is distance from subject and strobe setting. Usuallly, for me, this is primarily an issue where the subject is on a sand bottom/background. Flash can easily bleach out the subject if you aren't careful.

Other than that, we love the camera. It is easy to use (programming is very intuitive. Also a great surface camera for all-around vacation use.

The strobe strength can be manually adjusted to avoid this issue. But yes, it's a great starter camera.

This is what my wife currently is using. Definitely takes some practice on the flash. I ordered her a video light to try out as well and may end up converting to a large tray with both for her down the road.

Thanks for the input guys. Sorry for the late reply, my mom got hospitalized right after this post. Thinking we may look into getting it as a first camera. I'm no photographer by any stretch, so it may be all I ever need.

Thanks for the input guys. Sorry for the late reply, my mom got hospitalized right after this post. Thinking we may look into getting it as a first camera. I'm no photographer by any stretch, so it may be all I ever need.

Hope your Mom comes through her issues.

I have gone through the gamut of cameras, beginning close to 25 years ago with Sea and Sea 35mm film cameras. While I don't think you will win any awards with pictures from the 1400, you will bring back some great memories. As pointed out above, getting comfortable with playing with the setting on the strobe will probably be your biggest learning curve. What I've resorted to is taking two or three shots of the same subject (if the subject is patient enough), with different strobe settings.

Good Luck!

Thanks, My Mom is actually doing a little better, been a long road. Like you had mentioned, I'm not looking to take pictures except for the pleasure of looking at them and showing friends. I'm just looking for something to take pictures without a whole lot of underwater attention to the camera, as my wife and I are fairly new divers, don't want to have to be doing a bunch of adjustments underwater. I havn't had time to invest in looking at the camera, with being busy with my mom but I think I am going to drop the hammer and get it.

Yes it does, Thanks!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom