Sealife DC500 Flash Problem On Night Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlent

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My camera's flash is partially blocked by the underwater housing. On night dives this is apparent because part of the photo is black from the flash being blocked. I know some underwater housings solve this by having a tiny flash diffuser that attaches to the housing (sometimes the housing includes the diffuser). Is there one on the market for this camera? I'd hate to have to waste money on an external flash to solve this problem. A better question is, why didn't this camera include one? This problem occurs with every photo taken on a night dive with the internal flash. Perhaps, Sealife should have tested the housing on a night dive before marketing it.

Looking at a picture of the DC500 camera/housing, I wouldn't expect the lens extension to cast a shadow, except for close range macro shots. A difuser might help slightly, but there's probably something else going on. Take a few test shots on the surface to determine the limitations and/or what else might be wrong. If you like macro though, you might have to spring for a strobe.
I can't believe that the folks at Sealife didn't consider the implications of their internal strobe placement, and as I like to think product designers are smarter than that I hope there was something simple causing your problem. Please let me know when you figure it out. fb

Without seeing the photos it's a guess but it's not uncommon for some part of the case to interfere with the flash. It happens on my 5050 if I try to shoot at close range. A diffuser may help a little but very little. I noticed your comment " I'd hate to have to waste money on an external flash". In UW photography an external strobe is never a waste of money...IMO it's a requirement. Not only is it the only way your going to solve this problem but it will also make a huge difference in any other shot you take.

Unfortunately, it's looking like I will have to get an external strobe for night dives.

Without seeing the photos it's a guess but it's not uncommon for some part of the case to interfere with the flash. It happens on my 5050 if I try to shoot at close range. A diffuser may help a little but very little. I noticed your comment " I'd hate to have to waste money on an external flash". In UW photography an external strobe is never a waste of money...IMO it's a requirement. Not only is it the only way your going to solve this problem but it will also make a huge difference in any other shot you take.

I have a sealife DC600 and love it. I bought my with an external strobe and a defuser. ive tried using the camera with out a strobe and it just does not work unless i have really good vis and light. but because im diving in california and washington water it gets dark at depth and requires a strobe. as for wasting your money on a strobe it is not a waste. it will only make your photos that much better and if you decide to travel to colder darker water it will come in handy.

Unfortunately, it's looking like I will have to get an external strobe for night dives.

Stobes are not just for night diving. I use them on every dive and even for very shallow dives if I want to remove shadows. The internal flashes on any camera just don't have the power or versitility for UW use.

In the Great Lakes, the poor vis causes all the silt suspended in the water to be illuminated in the photo by the strobe. Strobes really are only usefull for night dives in Lake Michigan. Typically, during the day I go without a flash and then brighten the image in Photoshop.

Stobes are not just for night diving. I use them on every dive and even for very shallow dives if I want to remove shadows. The internal flashes on any camera just don't have the power or versitility for UW use.

dlent, I hate to say it, but you need an external strobe to get rid of the black spot on the corner. I use the Sealife SL960D strobe every time I shoot pictures underwater. The strobe adds the correct color, especially when you're diving below 15feet.

Yep, I think you're right.

dlent, I hate to say it, but you need an external strobe to get rid of the black spot on the corner. I use the Sealife SL960D strobe every time I shoot pictures underwater. The strobe adds the correct color, especially when you're diving below 15feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom