Sealife External Flash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

prskate2

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Does anybody have this flash? Can you give me some pros and cons? Can I see some pics taken with it? Anything... I really want to know more about this product before I use $170 on it. Also, is it true that the flash is buoyant? Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes, the flash is buoyant. SeaLife makes a counterweight that helps but between the housing I have and the strobe, there is quite a bit of positive buoyancy.

Well, since I have the Reefmaster Mini there is no housing so its not buoyant. But I will probably have to buy the weight anyway.. What a pain. Is there anything else I could use instead of the weight?

Wait for the newest one to ship! Wider coverage and digital controls and a better unit all round! Do not know if the new one is buoyant it has less volume!

Good advice. I think the newer one (I think it is the SL961) is a bit more money but according to everything I have read it would well be worth it. The SL960D has a huge strobe head that holds a big pocket of air and has a foam sleeve that runs from the tray to the strobe head. These two things contribute greatly to its buoyancy.

Wait for the newest one to ship! Wider coverage and digital controls and a better unit all round! Do not know if the new one is buoyant it has less volume!

Sealife External Flash: $170

Sealife Digital Flash: $300

Sealife Digital Pro Flash: $349

I am not a pro photographer and I don't want to spend a ton of money on a flash. I just want some more color in my pictures.. I know I can always edit the pics but I would like some more color. But thanks for the advice anyway. I'm sure the new flash isn't less buoyant anyway. I think I am just going to get the External Flash. Thanks anyway.

I am sure you will be happy with it. If I was able to shut off the preflash on my camera I would have bought the cheaper one too.

On the inside of the Flash is a switch with numbers! You set the switch to the number of pre-flashes on your camera and it will not fire on pre-flash, but fire on main flash!

My camera doesn't have any preflashes.. But thanks anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom