Sealife Reefmaster DC310 and wide angle question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bilznut

Reaction score
I am using a Sealife Reefmaster DC310 with dual Sealife strobes. I just had the wide angle lens (Sealife sl970) given to me. In setting up the camera I find the flash diffuser does not fit when the wide angle is snapped in place. What am I doing wrong? Is the diffuser still necessary when using the wide angle w/strobes. I know Sealife has come out with accessories which make the diffuser obsolete, but I don't own it yet. Any help is appreciated.

Sounds like you have the older type flash diffusers attached to the strobe before SeaLife made the small modification to them. Easy thing is to just use black electrical tape across the front of the camera flash making sure NOT to cover the top or the slave strobes wont fire or get the updated diffuser.

The new Reefmaster Flash Link (SL962) is an optical cable the ensures the slave strobe fires. The sensor mounts to the the flash diffuser and is set off by the camera flash so your still in the same boat :-(

PS: One word of caution about the wide angle lens - make sure you snap the lens off the camera ONCE you submerge - then reattach it to the front of the camera. Otherwise you get air bubbles between the camera optics & the wide angle lens optics. Ruined a few shots before I figured it out. Good Luck :)

bilznut:
I am using a Sealife Reefmaster DC310 with dual Sealife strobes. I just had the wide angle lens (Sealife sl970) given to me. In setting up the camera I find the flash diffuser does not fit when the wide angle is snapped in place. What am I doing wrong? Is the diffuser still necessary when using the wide angle w/strobes. I know Sealife has come out with accessories which make the diffuser obsolete, but I don't own it yet. Any help is appreciated.

Medical...

Seriously considering the dc310 as opposed to a "name brand" camera and case. Already have a decent digital for surface photos and would prefer a camera set up designed for u/w use from the start. Would you buy one again? Are you satisfied? Pros? Cons? Any links to reviews etc, would be appreciated.

TIA!!

Robert

Sent you a PM but the bottom line is that I do everything from skydiving to kayaking to scuba diving so this camera was made for me. Almost indestructable housing which I use above & below water. Almost all the shots I have posted on scubaboard were taken with the Dc310. If you do get one I highly suggest you get the optional wide angle lens for under water shots (No good for above water though) as it makes a huge difference. I personally couldn't see spending $1000+ for a camera :)
Just my opinion - I could be wrong (quote: Dennis Miller)

orangelion03:
Medical...

Seriously considering the dc310 as opposed to a "name brand" camera and case. Already have a decent digital for surface photos and would prefer a camera set up designed for u/w use from the start. Would you buy one again? Are you satisfied? Pros? Cons? Any links to reviews etc, would be appreciated.

TIA!!

Robert

Thanks Medical! I received your PM and I responded, but I'm not sure I did it correctly. Much obliged for the endorsement of the Sealife. Going to Maui end of July and would really like to take a camera with me, but want to dive with it a few times before then so I need to purchase one fairly soon.

Cheers!

Robert

Thanks for the wide-angle lens info, Medical. I just ordered one.

As far as removing the wide-angle lens underwater and replacing it to prevent air bubbles, would this also apply to the 3x Macro lens?

I've had my Sealife DC310 for a couple of months, frankly have been disappointed with the results. However, so far have used it only in poor viz freshwater lakes.

Glad I could help :crafty: Nice thing about a digital is immediate feedback on the picture. I first discovered the problem while underwater after taking a picture. Looked through the LED and saw a half moon bubble through the picture. Snapped the lens off, shook the air out then snapped it back on. Perfect pictures from that point on. Now it's just habit to do it when I dive with any Sealife external lens.

rainmaker:
Thanks! I've had several shots with similar defects. I'd actually stopped using the macro lens because of it.

Back
Top Bottom