SeaLife SL961 strobe with E-PM1... how best to sync them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BenZed

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I am very happy with my E-PM1 and PT-EP06L. I just bought a SeaLife SL961 strobe. Does anybody have experience with using them together? Specifically, what camera settings to use to get them to sync. I tried following the SeaLife instructions, but I am afraid I am beyond my depth when it comes to figuring out the best camera flash/ISO/ASPM settings.

Also, what is the best way to hook up the sync cable?

First, did you get an optical cable? Flash Link | Sealife Cameras

Did it come with any little rubber plugs that fit over the ends of the cable and can be inserted into the little ports on the camera housing and the strobe?

If the optical cable did not come with those mounting plugs, either contact Sealife about getting some or use the plugs which came with your camera housing. You can drill a small hole through those plugs and insert the fiber optic cable into them, then into the housing and strobe.

So far as photography is concerned, the fewer changes you need to make in order to obtain the best exposure, the better.

Cathy Church's method helped me a lot.

Use manual settings for your camera; set your aperture between ƒ5.6 to ƒ11; keep the ISO low around 100-200; without using your strobe, set your shutter speed to obtain a pleasing background hue and brightness; use your strobe setting to adjust the illumination on your subject.

I practiced this by photographing a object on a table in a darkened room, but with a well lighted room in the background.

Taking photos this way you will make most of your exposure adjustments with your strobe and not change much else.

If you can set your camera image review to show a histogram, this will help make sure your exposures are right.

Use a RAW image mode. This permits you to make the widest range of adjustments to your photos, using all the data.

---------- Post Merged at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:03 PM ----------

An addendum, to check your strobe for synchronization, take photos with your strobe in a mirror. This will demonstrate if the strobe is going off at the same time the shutter is open. There are several synch settings available on the Sea Life strobe. You may have to test a few before you get the right setting.

To save battery life you can set the camera strobe to a low power setting like 1/2 or 1/8th power. However, if the strobe is reading the camera's strobe power you need to use the auto setting (I think).

Thanks Gert! It worked - at least, with good results above water :)

I had thought of sticking a hole in one of the plugs that came with the housing, but i did not want to do anything too definite without being sure that that was the way to go. Because the housing has sockets for the plugs, there is no natural place for the standard SeaLife cord holder. I actually used the little alan key that came with the strobe to punch the hole (nice and small, so the cable won't slip out too quickly). With all this in place, the camera's little flash fired the big flash every time, so I could go through the normal routine again as described in the strobe's manual.

I now have the E-PM1 set to 'fill in' flash at 1/160 shutter speed, WB (white balance) is set to 'cloudy' as SeaLife suggests. The strobe is set to preflash setting 3 (it works) and the auto-bright is set to 1.

I am not using the same strobe but I would be inclined to just set the white balance on auto. I find it works well with my Inon S2000 and my EPL2 and I believe that is the setting others on this forum have recommended for strobes. In any event try it and see if you like it. If you are shooting in RAW it doesn't matter as you can adjust everything when editing the photos. If you are shooting Jpeg + RAW which I do, then the white balance does matter for the Jpeg images.

Back
Top Bottom