Sealing Maglite Lens…

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mts0628

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello All:

I am about to jump into my DIY canister light project, and I am slightly confused on the light head. I am going use a c-cell Maglite with a (lensless) MR16 bulb as the basis of my light head, but I don’t exactly know how to seal the lens.

I want to try two lenses, one stepped and one just a straight thickness. The latter I will try first because I want to try and use borosilicate glass. If that doesn’t fly then I will try cutting a stepped acrylic lens. I know that the lens needs to be about 0.25 inch thick and 2.125 inches in diameter.

Now my question: how many and where do I put the o-rings? Do I put an o-ring on either side of the lens for both lens configurations or is there one lens that will require only one o-ring to seal?

Also, I have already looked at several references: Steve Lindblom’s Divelight Companion, Homebuilt Divelights by Brent Schermerhorn, and Canlights by Scott Blair. I am still lost!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Kindest regards from North Carolina,
Thomas

I used the original small O-ring in its original place. Put the glass lens from Dealextreme on and then placed a large o-ring between the glass and the Maglite. I found an o-ring kit at Harbor Freight for $8 that has large enought o-rings for the head and tail. I am only using 1 lens. Anyone know if that's enough for 100+feet?
I tried down to 35' and it worked.

Oh, you can also leave the O-ring that is on the outside threads of the head on there. I used teflon tape all over as well to ensure proper seal. Cheap insurance.

Last edited:
... I am only using 1 lens. Anyone know if that's enough for 100+feet?
I tried down to 35' and it worked....
I used 2 lenses form DX in a test pot down to 60meters and it was fine. I wouldnt use 1 lens when 2 will fit easy enuf. You may have to sand down the face of the reflector and mag lite but its a easy 5 minute job.
I would like to know the limitations of the lens as I fell its the weakest like. I have some perspex lenses too that are stronger as they can flex but they get scratched easy.

i used o-rings on both sides of the lens. slightly larger o-rings were used on the butt of the light and under the head where the beam is adjusted. lightly lube the o-ring with silicone grease at the head. i was able to take it to 120 feet with no problems. keep in mind the light is a AA size mini-mag light using 2 aa batteries.

don't they leak at the switch? i may have missed that part somewhere.

I used the two lenses for deal extreme and then siliconed the lenses in. Teflon tape on the threads. I epoxied the head on (no twist to focus now) and used the p7 module from deal extreme for the light. I kept the switch and covered it with 10 speed innertube that is siliconed and zip tied at each end of the tube to make a decent seal. I have only had the light down to 35' so far as its just finished.

Interesting design.
How clear is the lens using the silicon? I tried using acrylic glue which is super clear but it didnt work on glass.
The inner tube on the switch sounds a bit dodgy. I think under pressure the switch will depress and stay like that until you ascend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom