SeaQuest Balance vs. Malibu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bibendum

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All -

After a recent bad experience with some rental gear, I have decided it's time to get my own gear.

As far as the BC is concerned, I have narrowed it dow to the SeaQuest Balance or the Malibu. I like them both, maybe the Balance a lttle more, but I can get a GREAT deal on the 2006 Malibu right now.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these two BCs? Should I go for the higher end one, or aim for something inexpensive givent that this is my first BC?

Thanks!

i just bought a balance and like it. never tried the malibu.

my feeling is that i would rather buy better stuff now and not have to replace it later. in the long run, it saves money.

Buy what you like the first time or you will buy it anyway in a few months or another year. You will save money in the long run. Trust me, lol.

I have a Balance and am happy with it. When I upgrade, I would go with
bp/wings. Never tried the Malibu. If you can afford it, pay a little
more. You will be happier in the long run.

I have the Balance and like it. It seems about as close to a BP/W as you can get in a BC. It is very open. It does not have a cumberbund. I like that but if you would prefer one you need to look elsewhere. I can't help with the Malibu.

I am in the same boat as the others. I have a Balance and absolutely love it. I am thinking of upgrading to a bp/w setup, but outside of that, I dont see how you can beat what the Balance offers. Havent used the Malibu, but I dont feel a need to, as I believe I found the best BC for me. I would recommend mine in a second.

We got a great deal on a couple of Malibu's and really like them. Only thing additional I would like is maybe another pocket. But for the price it was great. Can't comment on the Balance.

Has anyone added an extra utility pocket to a BC and what and how did you do it?

Thanks for all the feedback. Well, what I really want is the Black Diamond, however, that is not financially possible at the moment and the one thing I don't like about it is that it is a pretty heavy BC.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Black Diamond? What are the advantages of a BP/W over a jacket style BC?

My thought is that the target diving of BCs like the Black Diamond or Zeagle Ranger is better served with a BP/W. Why do you "really want the Black Diamond?"

I like to Black Diamond over the other two becuase it is comfy when fully loaded, has a cumberbund (which I like because I can tuck my fingers in to get a warm up when they get cold), has larger and more d-rings (which I find easier to use), and has better rear dump valve access (one on each side).

My caveat to all of this is that I have not yet tried the Black Diamond in the water, like I have the others, so who knows, I could hate it once I try it out.

But, what I am wondering is what is the advantage of a BP/W over a jacket-style BC? Is it easier to use? More comfortable, etc.?

jmps:
My thought is that the target diving of BCs like the Black Diamond or Zeagle Ranger is better served with a BP/W. Why do you "really want the Black Diamond?"

Back
Top Bottom