Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seaquest BlackDiamond

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Aqua Lung Patriot

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Balance and Zeagle Scout appear to be well designed. We've come a long way (see the thread on the history of BC's) but it's hard to find a practical BC:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t8161/s.html

Lately, progress has been measured in double bags, pockets, rings, padding and weight pouches. All this heavy duty paraphernalia is loading up the diver like Moby Dick and taking away from the basic freedom of SCUBA diving. We are returning to the foot slogging world of Jules Verne and Augustus Siebe, especially at the airport.

The Black Diamond is a nice BC however there are so many just as nice as it. Like the Genesis Recon for instance. Other BC's can save you money. But all are Bulky to travel with.

I just bought a Black Diamond - love the BC but cannot figure out the rear weight pockets. To me it seems like they will only fit 5 pounders, if I dive at 16 pounds is it safe to put 10 of it in the rear?

Thanks.

Hmmm, the SQ website says:

2 non-releasable buckled rear weight pockets holding 5 lbs/2 kgs

I haven't looked at one in a while, but I think they mean non-ditchable, each holding 5lbs for a total of 10 lbs on the back.

[MY OPINION]
As for the safety of using 10 non ditchable, if it's comfy, go for it. Remember, you are using 16lbs total, so if you drop the other 6, you are still going to become significantly bouyant and get you topside in a hurry. You don't need to dump all 16lbs to hit the surface.
[/MY OPINION]

I was diving 24# total when I had my BD. I threw 4 and 4 in the back - which was all I needed to comfortablly achieve a heads-up attitude on the surface. I had 8 + 8 in the weight pockets - giving me 16 I could dump.

K

The rear pockets are for trim adjustment to help you maintain a horizontal position underwater.

I think you would still want to wear most of your weight in your ditchable pockets or belt since that 10lbs sitting in the rear is going to hard to reach if you ever decide to ditch the lead on the surface.

I have at most 1 lb in each rear pocket of my BC.

The non dumpable rear trim pockets on many BC's are a nice feature. Moving some weight from the usual location to the trim pockets can improve trim in the water and promote heads up floatation at the surface. Start by moving 2 pounds to each pocket from the waist area. Check the result in the water. With 16 pounds total, the ideal amount is likely to be anywhere from 2 to 4 pounds per pocket.

I am considering purchasing a Sea-Quest Black Diamond BC with alternate air source. Does anyone have first hand experience with this BC.

I never owned a black diamond but I had the Raider which is the big brother of the black diamond. I only had it wet one time in a pull before selling it and a Deep Outdoors Matrix. The Raider was very comfy, fit well, and was extremely well made. The down side is that it was also extremely bulky if not down right huge. The Black diamond is not nearly as bulky. I have tried it on in the store and it seemed like a very nice piece and is a much better choice than the Raider. I don't think there is a whole lot of bad things anyone can say about it other than the fact it is not a back plate and wing setup. If I were looking for a back inflate bc that did not have a back plate in it I would have to say the Black Diamond would probably be up there in my top few choices.

The Air Source is also a nice convience item. Some will tell you it is not the great of a breather, but if it come time to use it you are going to worry about how well it breathes as much as whether or not is breathable at all. I do think it may be kind of difficult to make an accent while using it as a regulator

Back
Top Bottom